Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling all K7S5A mobo users

• 26-11-2002 9:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

Help!

Ok My comp keeps freezing when I run, 133/133 mode, if i run 100/100 mode it runs perfect. I have been looking on the internet about this problem and it seems to be common. I have 1x256Mb sd-ram (133), I was wondering if any other users have had the same problem. or else if having DDRam solves this problem??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Yea, my K7S5A does alot of that freezing shenanigans on 133/133 aswell.
    Originally posted by hussey
    or else if having DDRam solves this problem?
    Well I'm using 512mb of ddr ram, so I guess not.

*Is there much of a difference in performance between 133/133 and 100/100?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

well when I use 100/100 I get a speed of 1.250 when I use 133/133 I get a speed of 1.7Ghz using a xp2000+ chip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭daveJAM

I've heard that its a huge problem with the k7s5a. I've never had any probs at 133/133 though. I run at 147/147 now though. System wont boot at 150/150. I'd imagine ddr would solve the problem (or anything other than 2x256sdr). PPC posted some kind of report on this before.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58627&highlight=k7s5a

Thanks davjm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I have had 10 or 12 of these over the last 12 months. If it doesn't run at 133 there is nothing you can do. It is a dud. Despite the million and one things you will read out there, nothing will fix it. RMA it or keep running at 100fsb, those are your only choices, anyone who tells you different is wrong.

DDR doesn't help. The chipset heatsink fix doesn't help, anything you do with the bios etc, more powerful PSU ..... doesn't help.

I have been burned bad by these boards. I still have one at home as does my brother, and they are fine. It's normally 50/50. For each good one there is one dud. I have posted about this a few time before.

Return it as quickly as you can.

• Advertisement

I mailed the nice ppl at marx-comp's and explained the situation, along with links to forums and they told me I could bring it back and swap for a different board. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Thats good news. I'd go for the MSI KT333 and some DDR RAM if I were you. Nice and stable.

If you stick with SDRAM you will just have to take another S5A and hope for the best. (Do note though, that it's not a bad board at all if you get a good one, I'd nearly bring my rig into the shop if I were you and test it in front of them). I had 3 attempts before I got one that worked correctly at 133.

By the way. The easy way to test. Download memtest86 and run for one iteration (about 20 mins). If you get no errors it's fine. If you get any with an ECS board. It's the board. Trust me on this. I bet if you run it on your machine now at 133FSB you will get thousands of errors (none at 100FSB).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

i have had no problem with my board at 133/133 with pc133 or ddr.

Its just a dud baord if they give you another in marks take it that are very good for replacing baords!

Advertisement