Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a computer online from Dell

• 26-11-2002 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Ordered a new comp online from dell yesterday. Have not had a confirmation email yet. How long do they take to send out the order number?

Has anyone here had any experience of buying from them? Was it ok?

Thanks for your advice.

James

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I'd suggest posting this on the Technology board.

However, you should be sent out an invoice confirmation and order number directly after the transaction, if it doesn't come in the next few hours, doublecheck your credit card balance as their may have been a problem at their end. thats the only sure way of knowing if you've bought something or not :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Sorry if I posted to the wrong board.

I got an Internet receipt number after ordering but no email. They say something about 2-3 days for a confirmation. Seems a tad long. No money gone from CC yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

Moved to technology

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

As a recent former employee I can confirm the online order process:

1. Order is placed online by customer
    2. Order gets lodged in order entry queue
    3. Order entry staff input order into order managment system. CC details are authorised at this point. Customer will be contacted if there is a CC problem. (NB this is where the process starts if you phone a salesperson)
    4. Order waits for credit clearance, as all orders over a certain floor limit must also recieve manual authorisation (name/address check) from CC provider. Again, custmoer will be contacted if there is a problem.
    5. Once order is credit cleared, order is sent to factory (in Limerick)
    6. Once order has downloaded to factory system, a "Dell Order Number" (starting with the digits 57) is generated. This should be posted and/or emailed to you, but if not you can ring customer care and they can find the number if you quote the Internet Reciept (IR) number
    7. Order is completed by the factory and shipped

The problem with the system is that there is a huge backlog (or there was last month before I quit) of orders sitting at stage 2. This can take anywhere from 2 hours to 2 weeks. If you are waiting for more than a week without hearing anything from Dell, ring customer care. If the order still has not been entered, you might be better off cancelling the online order and ringing the sales people - they get paid commission, but only when the order ships, so they have an incentive to get the computer to you ASAP.

Thanks for your input.

Question. If i phone up the sales people will I get the same price as online?

Thanks
    James

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dell generally contact you by Phone to inform you to expect delivery the day they give it to the shippers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

James:

Most of the time they will match the online price (if they won't, hang up, and call back in, you'll get a different salesperson and they might be more amenable). If you've done a few upgrades on the system then most times they will match the online price - just keep pushing them.

Leeroy:

I don't know, I worked in UK sales and the courier does the calling over there (I know this is NOT the case in Ireland). But, when I made an employee purchace, I didn't get a call telling me when delivery would be. I think it depends on how nice your sales rep is.

I wasn't sure (I'm not a Dell customer), but someone I know was expecting a phone call to tell them to expect delivery of a laptop they ordered. I was asuming that what goes for one, goes for all.

Originally posted by maxheadroom
    As a recent former employee I can confirm the online order process:

1. Order is placed online by customer
    2. Order gets lodged in order entry queue
    3. Order entry staff input order into order managment system. CC details are authorised at this point. Customer will be contacted if there is a CC problem. (NB this is where the process starts if you phone a salesperson)
    4. Order waits for credit clearance, as all orders over a certain floor limit must also recieve manual authorisation (name/address check) from CC provider. Again, custmoer will be contacted if there is a problem.
    5. Once order is credit cleared, order is sent to factory (in Limerick)
    6. Once order has downloaded to factory system, a "Dell Order Number" (starting with the digits 57) is generated. This should be posted and/or emailed to you, but if not you can ring customer care and they can find the number if you quote the Internet Reciept (IR) number
    7. Order is completed by the factory and shipped

The problem with the system is that there is a huge backlog (or there was last month before I quit) of orders sitting at stage 2. This can take anywhere from 2 hours to 2 weeks. If you are waiting for more than a week without hearing anything from Dell, ring customer care. If the order still has not been entered, you might be better off cancelling the online order and ringing the sales people - they get paid commission, but only when the order ships, so they have an incentive to get the computer to you ASAP.

Tried calling them today to cancel order. Not very helpful. Basically they woudnt cancel the order and said someone would call back.

What do I do if I want to cancel.

You've every right to cancel.

A friend of mine was buying a PC for his family through Dell.

The day after he placed thge order a big pricing shift happened (special offers, etc) and his order was shafting him by ~200 quid.

He rang back and cancelled straight away. Dell had already placed the charge on his mothers credit card (over a week before he could even expect delivery) and it took 5 weeks of constant complaints to get the refund put through.

He saved the 200 tho.

• Advertisement
Advertisement