Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC to TV

Options
  • 26-11-2002 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭

Get a Dell 8100, dvd and astec lansing 885's, Want to buy a tv to hook up to it, has to be wide screen. Has anyone done similar? What would the best tv to go with or would it make any difference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I haven't checked the model/spec but I'd imagine all you would need is a graphics card with TV out - and then S-Video cable from PC to TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

You just have to make sure that the TV outputs on your graphics card match up to the inputs on the back of your TV. I don't think the sound is handled by the Graphics card so you may also need a sound cable from your PC to your TV. Boards could confirm this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭frea

Can anybody recommend a good TV Out card.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by thegills
    You just have to make sure that the TV outputs on your graphics card match up to the inputs on the back of your TV.

Less of a problem than you might think. I've no S-VHS port on my TV - I've an S-VHS cable leaving the computer and going through a little scart box plugged into the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Originally posted by sceptre
    Less of a problem than you might think. I've no S-VHS port on my TV - I've an S-VHS cable leaving the computer and going through a little scart box plugged into the TV.

me too, the scart box i have can take phono cables which i run from my sound card for errr the sound :)

handy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Lads,
    Can you give me details of the scart box you have. Do you connect the sound and video leads from the box to your PC and then connect the box via scart to the TV??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by thegills
    Lads,
    Can you give me details of the scart box you have. Do you connect the sound and video leads from the box to your PC and then connect the box via scart to the TV??

Sound and video leads go from the box to the PC, yeah.

With regard to the box, I've described it badly. It's a tiny thing, about the same size as a large lighter. It plugs into the scart socket on the TV itself without any extra leads.

I've seen all required components (for want of a better term) on sale in one package in Compustore etc

When I got mine, I wandered into Maplin and basically asked the nice man what I'd need to get (I had the S-VHS lead but not the sound leads) - I ended up getting the small box, two phono cables and a small splitter (or joiner?) to put into the lineout on the soundcard. I suppose the box can be best described (by untechnical me) as an S-VHS to scart adaptor.

If you're in Dublin it might be simplest to take a gander into Maplin and ask. If you're not, post back and I'm sure one of us will get you a picture (or just a better description)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

My JVC TV has 3 scart at the back and 1 s-video on the front, my DVD only has s-video output ... it was an eyesore though connecting the DVD to the front of the TV ... so I went looking and lots of places sell those s-video to scart jobbies ... I bought mine from maddens in cork, it cost about £12 ... works fine ... obviously videophiles and soundphiles are probably going nuts, but I think mine gives very good picture, the sound is handled by the DVD so I didnt need to connect sound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Ave a Gforce 3 with tv out, all I really want to is some info on a widescreen tv with a good refresh rate for bout €800.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

ill give that chip to town whens hes in ul in december.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Nice 1 Podgeen. I'll send the notes with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Rather then open a new thread, first I will ask my NEW QUESTION HERE:

I have TV-Out from an Nvidia GForce 4 MX 420 Card, using a S-Video cable to plug directly into my TV.

1. Why is the picture only in black and white?

2. Latest Nvidia drivers loaded, but when i go into Nview settings, the option for twinview is selectable, but never stays put. ie: i select clone, then save, return to the screen, and its unselected again. is this important for anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭daveJAM

I know you said directly into your TV but I just want to double check. You're not using a s-video to scart box as mentioned above. If so that could be a problem too, if not then its probably just set to the wrong region. Try change it to PAL or sometimes it asks for the country so set it to UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Originally posted by yankinlk
    1. Why is the picture only in black and white?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=664693#post664693

:)

Advertisement