Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

adsl performance

Options
  • 26-11-2002 4:16pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Why am i getting such sh1tty download speeds on adsl. It was grand last week i was getting 90-100kb/sec. Now its down to 50-60.

Might it be the time of day im downloading. Im on i-scream enhanced 1mb.

Any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Chief

I've been noticing that to recently mate, we're on i-stream solo.. and from ANY international site its been dodgy.. but from Irish sites it's been the same full speed d/l's.. we only use it during business hours..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Im downloading redhat linux atm from ftp.esat.net and its coming down at a constant speed of 52.4kb/sec which isnt what it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Chief---
    Im downloading redhat linux atm from ftp.esat.net and its coming down at a constant speed of 52.4kb/sec which isnt what it should be.

Is that kilobits or kilobytes you are seeing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Chief---
    Ok I tried downloading a large gz from the other end off a fat leased line..and thats all I was getting. The ftp server may be throttling at that rate at the moment-there may be a lot of users using it perhaps..
    try downloading from ftp://ftp.indigo.ie/pub/ and see what speed you get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Bandwidth Place

i found this site to be very reliable in determning ADSL speeds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

359.4 kilobits per second

Communications

359.4 kilobits per second
    How communication devices are rated. Kilo means 1,000 and mega means 1,000,000. Examples include 56k modem and 10Mbit Ethernet

Storage

43.9 kilobytes per second
    The way data is measured on your hard drive and how file sharing and FTP programs measure transfer speeds. Kilo is 1,024 and mega is 1,048,576.

1MB file download

23.3 seconds
    The time it would take you to download a 1 megabyte file at this speed.

Thats Ennis vDSL (meant to be 512k afaik but is always ~360k :/ Ping to radox cs at about 100 (lowest ever 70), and download at ~40kbps (max bout 55kbps).

Advertisement