Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a DVD recorder...

• 26-11-2002 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting myself one of these & basically can't really make up my mind... between the pioneer for €320 or the sony for 420.

The sony does DVD+ and - while the pioneer does just - (although as far as I'm aware my DVD player won't play burnt disks anyway)

Anyone have any opinions ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

I,ll give u my 2 cents

Buy the pioneer Hands down !!!

Reasons Firstly i got an ao3 when dvd recorders came to about 400 sterlin then the ao4 when 30O sub
    Read speeds just keep get better, its now quieter with and shorter, ao3 is huge in Length also write speeds dont get much quicker than 2x at the minute ! No media at the minute on the commercial market will support also the reading off ALLLLLL Media on the market is supported by the pioneer models m8
    All dvdr - media of course tried all dear brands ****ty ones and all write read and do all that it should ! majority of the dearer media will play on standalone dvd players some are picky some arent !
    Im obviously biased towards pioneer because they actually know something about making quality dvdrw products.. Sony do not !
    Search google theres mixed reviews about most installs (sony)
    reading writing is good/great and it also does dvdr+

1. Pioneer is a proven product where as sony no **** all in my opinion about makin dvdrw drives
    2. Sony are having a lot of mixed reviews about installing on certain operatin systems with different hardware present whereas pioneer is piss easy and has had little or no complaints !
    3. Writing dvdrs... the - format is max 2x with media on both drives. The sony now has dvdr + so thats a win win there !!
    4. Cdrs writing ... p model has 16x i think and the sony model writes at 24x both have same read speeds...
    5. Price 100 euro in the difference so p wins that round
    (Pioneer is 320 and sony is 420)
    6. Last but Not least Media Prices !!!!
    Dvdr- range from 50p sterling to £7 depending on supplier and brand name quality etc
    Dvdr+ Is 4 sterling upwards to 30 and believe me that aint flippin cheap nor does read in any dvd players ive ever heard of !

So basically u could get the pioneer and 100 blanks with postage for the same price as the sony !
    Whats the difference in waiting an extra 3-6 mins for cdr and the dvdr+ is ****e these dayz.. It will be gone shortly its kind of like betamex in the dvdrw world i think !!
    What else !! hmmm
    No thats it m8 just buy the damn pioneer and u,ll never look back !!
    I,ll have to purchase the 105 soon myself !! and hopefully u might give me a few test results !!
    My 2 cents Appy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

You are the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Why thank u neo !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

Cheers Apprentice. Good evaluation !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Have to agree.

I'd definitely go for the Pioneer (A05/105) at those prices. I read a couple of reviews of the A05 and it does have a couple of weaknesses (memory failing me) but they're not huge, and it's DVD performance is excellent.

The others are catching up but the Pioneer is still a good drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I'd recomend the Pioneer hands down, having the A04 model myself. I have yet to burn a duff DVD-R. It's the best piece of kit I've bought, since, my geforce2 ddr 2 years ago :)

Advertisement