Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Republican/Nationalist ideology

Options
  • 26-11-2002 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭

How prone to change do people consider Republicanism/Nationalism, and how much has it changed in the past half century, talking about key moments, key events, prospects for peace etc etc.

Comments

I would have thought , with the exception of a hard core element, it has changed fundamentally.

The minds that created the Enniskillens and Omagh's of the past, are acutely aware of NI's changing demographics.
    Killing and maiming is no longer seen widely as being as good a vehicle of change as nationalist population growth.
    killing was never a vehicle of change, it just enhanced the hatrid.

Ironically, from what I can see,Nationalism/Republicanisms move to Democracy seems an even bigger threat to loyalism than Violence ever was, in terms of increasing Sinn Féin public representation.

Take the attitude of the DUP for instance....:rolleyes:
    Their simple logic seems to be , Bar the Shinners, and hopefully that will péés off the Republicans enough to bring back the bombing and widespread shootings again....

Hmmm, very foward thinking of them:rolleyes:

mm

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

so its changed from a

"sumbit and they'll fvck us"

mindset to a

"fvck, until they submit to us"

:)

One thing I havent heard anyone ponder is the role of the increased use of canabis and extasy in youth culture in the '90s in the problem.

Its a little hard to blow someone up when they're your "best mate!"

DeV

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I don't really buy the youth culture in the North though, as I don't really think that its brought youth together under any one real banner, not even drugs. Youths in the North still take drugs with tjeir Catholic/Protestant friends, I don't think it makes a difference to sectarianism.
    I know what your'e saying though, hardcore English football hooligans who were disgusted at the dropoff in violence because of the love bug and all the rest of it used to wear "Concerned Hooligans Against Drugs t-shirts"!!!
    But I just don't think its really relevant to the North. Its just a divided, depressing, place, whether your are on drugs or not!

Advertisement