Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMP and Hyper-Threading

• 27-11-2002 10:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

I have a pc at home with two coppermine slot 1 Pentium III's (1GHz each) and running windaz 2000 Prof ..... I was just reading an article on anandtech about the new pentium 4 3.06 Ghz that supports hyper-threading ... basically they made the point that windaz 2000 does support 2 cpu's ....but windaz xp was much better at it!!! ... for flip sake, feckers at microsoft doing me out of performance (well, er... in a way that I didnt know about) ...
    And for all of you wondering what hyper-threading is I'd say have a look at anandtech ... basically one cpu shows up as two logical cpus ... i.e. performance gain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The BBC ran an article about it two weeks ago - interesting stuff. A performance gain oof 25% for free can't be a bad thing. I suppose you could currently make the case that if you're running a 3GHz chip you might not notice the increase at the moment.

Advertisement