Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldo for manager?

• 27-11-2002 1:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

My brother's mate who apparently works in the courts, apparently overheard lawyers discussing his new contract.....
    This mate of my brothers is so confident - that he has put EUR100 on him being announced new manager.

I use "apparently", because I don't know this chap, but my brother seems condfident enough in what he said....

Basically another rumour for the mill :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Rolo Tomasi

I have a lot of respect for Aldo, he arguably one of the best strikers we ever had but manager of Irish team I don't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

His management credentials are quite poor and I would not like to see him get the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

His management credentials are quite poor and I would not like to see him get the job.

But hes cheap.

Kerr would be cheaper and has the credentials.

Hmm FAI disision......

Jebus luckily Kermit the Frog is signed up for a new series of the Muppets.

kdjaC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I think he did very well at Tranmere but I think it would be too early for him to become Ireland manager. Maybe sometime in the future when he has more experience. Anyway i do not thing that they could have selected a new manager yet, theya re still talking about who should be in the selection committee. I reckon it is all b*ll**** and there is no way anyone will know who the new manager is this side of Christmas.

Yeah, as I've said before, in the absence of any outstanding and affordable candidates, I would have to go for Kerr.

I don't think Aldridge's record is all that impressive, he's had one decent cup run, thats about it.

With regard to the selection commitee, I think they should get someone in before the Scotland game, that would be my only worry. Apart of course, from getting the right man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Kerr would be cheaper and has the credentials
    yea all that stuff he has done in senior football and all those world class players he has managed at club level ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND
    yea all that stuff he has done in senior football and all those world class players he has managed at club level ;)

Its harder to make world class players than manage them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND

True, but given the people that have been mentioned as potential candidates, he'd be my first choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by Waylander
    I think he did very well at Tranmere

if you call getting them relegated from the First Division 'doing very well', then I guess he did.

>yea all that stuff he has done in senior football

Well I'd out Kerr ahead of the rest of the candidates purely for what he's done in INTERNATIONAL football.

But if you want to talk about SENIOR football, he's won 2 league titles at St Pat's. Doesn't seem like that much of an achievement, but when he got the step up to interbational level with the underage setup, he did the business there as well. So basically, he's done well at every level at which he's been given a chance. Sooner or later he's gonna get the ultimate stepup, and why not now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

they appointed Brady as a consultant. (FAI) to help them pick the manager.
    They only did that last sunday. Doubt they woulda decided by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

all those world class players he has managed at club level

Osam :D

In my opinion he is the best man for the job longterm.
    Most of the 1st team and those coming tru now have played for him at some stage.

He will get the best out of any 11.

Few years ago i thought that the older players wouldnt have respected him but now they have nearly all played for him.

Me has €50 on him at 50/1 in hope :)

KdjaC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

yeah. aldo for manager. he done well with tranmere in the cup runs. that what we need some to motivate the players into each action. Aldo had very little money at Tranmere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

I dunno about kerr....
    I've no doubt he's a good motivater, which is essential for the youth teams. Tad more to international footy though :) And there's a lot of talk about him "making" quality players...
    Surely all he did was call them up? The likes of duff and keane were coming through the setup of their respective clubs, shag all to do with him!! (for instance, how often were they under him?, every few weeks/months, and then for tournaments.)

That is of course my understanding of his contribution anyway...

Actually Twosheds Aldo had left Tranmere several months before they got relegated, and although they were alot further down the table they were not in the relegation zone. I was more thinking along the lines of a Coca Cola Cup final, and several Giant Killings in the various cup competitions. Also operating on a shoestring yet getting Tranmere into the playoffs at least once. That is more what I would describe as doing very well. Even when he left neither the fans nor the Club chairman wanted them to go, he felt he could not improve on what he had already achieved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

brady knows his stuff. he's professional, honest and intelligent as well as having a genuine interest in the development of the game.

i have loads more faith in the selection of the new manager with liam involved .

however its important to note that managing an international team is vastly different to that of a club. international management is bascially selection, tactics and coaching. club management involves a massive amount more, and as a result a good club manager cannot always be counted on to be a good international manager.

currently aldridge, kinnear, kerr, dalgleish, reid and troussier are in seriuos contention.

i'd prefer kerr in that, as i think his coaching and tactics would be excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I reckon it is all b*ll**** and there is no way anyone will know who the new manager is this side of Christmas.
    Thats not to say that potential short-listed candidates are working with their lawyers to lay down a desired contract in advance of the call fro the FAI.

On Aldo, he is not international calibre. He can't speak the speak or act the act so to say. The same with Kerr. If we want any credability we will have to set our stall higher, even though the cash may not be there. As it is a part-time role, perhaps David O'Leary will be the man as he has other non-football interests and is young enough to use the role until WC2006 as a stepping stone back into top-flight club management.

I would like to see it made into a full time position and see the new manager go around to league of ireland clubs, running mini football acadamies and training sessions and the likes. I would like to see him try to up the profile of the league and it can only help the standard and quality to improve.

Yeah it would be desirable that the new manager would liaise with league clubs to try to improve training methods etc etc, especially given that we seem to be entering an era when senior players playng in England are simply unavailable for friendlies, unless its a load of Celtic symbolistic bollocks away to Scotland.

Anyway, O Leary would be anightmare scenario. he spent 90 million and won nowt. Thats not international calibre either. Apart from the fact that he wrecked careers of several irish internationals.

The idea that O Leary spent 90m is bullsh*t. Within a couple of months of him going they sold Rio for 30m and there is easily 60m wiorth of talent there + whatever they got for Robbie Keane. He brought Leeds to a champions league Semi Final which is furhter then Arsenal or Liverpool have got in several attempts. As regards the irish players, how do you back that statement up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

The 90M is an investment. How much would he get if he sold Smith, Kewell, Bowyer etc.

As for those Irish lads, the only one whose career he wrecked was Gary Kelly, who was useless anyway. McPhail has had 2 years of injury and Harte has been a regular even if he is the slowest full-back in the league.

Advertisement