Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CRIME WAVE - How many times have you been subject to Burglary or Robbery?

Options
  • 27-11-2002 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭

The latest Garda report show a serious rise in crime rate. So starting off with Burglary, be in your home, vehicle or business, how many time has this form of crime happened (or attempted on you) to you?

()

How many times have you been subject to Burglary or Robbery? 28 votes

Never have
    0% 0 votes
    Once
    46% 13 votes
    Twice
    17% 5 votes
    3 times
    10% 3 votes
    4 times
    17% 5 votes
    5 times
    3% 1 vote
    More than 5 but less than 10
    0% 0 votes
    More then 10
    3% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Whose fault is it ?

There is of course the tradional answers, the government, the garda etc and they of course bear part of the blame. But to be frank, I think we as a society must bear part of the blame for the situation that has arisen also.

As a society we are very tolerant of alot of the different types of crime that are floating around, from social welfare fraud to peeps driving on their provisional license (which _should_ be illegal). We are a nudge, nudge, wink, wink society, which permits and tolerates dishonesty at every level, are we therefore suprised when it spills out on the streets in this way ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

true enough....but lets face it..There is no law! We have low unemployment, most people never had it so good but we still have mindless violence, vandalism, murder etc..and when scummers are caught in most cases they escape the penal system and laugh it off to have another go. We then have Irish times/D4 heads telling us that its our problem not theirs etc..i.e.: lack of education and other bullsh.it.
    The Garda haven't been reformed since inception in 1926 and theres no sign of it coming either. a recipe for further increased crime levels..expect more of the same and worse.

I van stolen 1999 firhouse area.
    2 battery drills
    1 PA amp
    van found Jobstown burnt out.

as of yet haven't experienced any violence :) ... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

The Garda haven't been reformed since inception in 1926 and theres no sign of it coming either

Are also quite badily paid, got a crap deal from the benchmarking process, don't have the right to strike to try and improve their lot, and get no backup or support from the courts.

In fairness, I doubt many Garda would argue with the need to reform, but I argue that its not the only part of the Irish legal system that could use some reform. Soliciters in Ireland are a huge part of the sickness in the process, many of our judges are far too lienent, we fill every new prison/secure facility we build in a matter of weeks, are punishments rarely fit the crime and lack innovation, and vicitims end up feeling like the criminals.

FACT : 75% of crime in the Dublin area IS drug related ?

The new distributed drug treatments centers are beginning to work, but we need more innovative decisive action, we need to give all drug addicts legal, free access to the drugs they crave as part of a massive state sponsored treatment program, to rid ourselves of crime. We are wasting our time with methodone, we are wasting are time trying to catch the dealers, we are wasting are time trying to catch the thieves.

Legalise it, make it free, make it part of treatment (most addicts don't want to be addicts), make it part of housing, make it part of retraining, make it part of re-employment, make it part of childcare. But for Gods sake relise one thing, our crime war, is our drug war, and we can't win the drug war using the same tatics, which fail us over and over again ...

Homeless, education, crime, drug addiction these aren't all different problems, they are the same problem. The solution is simple.

My rant is over ... soz

p.s. there are studies to back up what I am saying ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Ah sure its all the fault of the Romanians isnt it...........:rolleyes:
    The amount of times I have heard the local populace say this.Anything gets stolen and it as the Romanians.For chrissakes you would think there was no crime before they arrived here the waypeople rant.Im not denying that they are behind some of the crime in my area but I think it is a little strange that despite the fact the Romanians are allegdly commiting crime on an hourly basis the only foreign names I have ever seen on the local newspaper court pages are for driving offences.Sure once or twice they have been in for assault/theft etc but 90% seems to be only insurance related stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

99%* of crime is knacker-related. Get rid of knackers, and crime rates will collapse.

*This is a metaphor for "the vast majority". No I don't have any figures to back it up. It's common sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Turnip

Originally posted by Biffa Bacon
    99%* of crime is knacker-related. Get rid of knackers, and crime rates will collapse.

*This is a metaphor for "the vast majority". No I don't have any figures to back it up. It's common sense.
    If you mean get rid of poverty, I agree. The welfare system needs drastic reform. It serves its purpose for people who want to work but is useless for those who can't be bothered. Cut off the dole and that job stacking shelves might not look so bad after all. Even so-called menial jobs can encourage feelings of self respect and responsibility.

Most violent crime is actually alchohol related. Not necessarily knacker/scanger related. Drink driving offences are committed by and large by respectable people.

Someone was giving out to me about the nigerians the other day and about the trouble they cause. I know for a fact they've been competing with dublin gangsters like the Monk up in Parnell St. Curious thing is that irish people will instinctively side with 'our' scumbags. All gangsters black or white are scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Biffa Bacon

You know, this has to be one of the most idiotic, contentless trolling comments which seems to resurface any time we discuss crime.

It invariably is phrased to start a flamewar with people initially complaining about the fact that "knacker" is a term related to the travelling community, which makes the statement complete rubbish.

This will be countered by someone explaining that knacker is, in this case, used to mean "scum-bag", "trouble-maker", or some other generic term...because otherwise, you'd be shown to be completely wrong by the fact that criminals cannot be classified into any neat little better-specified category which will cover "the vast majority of crime" or anywhere near it.

Which ends us with a comment which, if you werent so set on trying to rile people up with deliberately inflammatory and moronic phrasing, would read as :

The vast majority of crime is caused by trouble-makers. If we didnt have these criminals, there would be no more crime.

Well, duh. Who did you think was causing it? And gosh...getting rid of those who commit crime will get rid of crime? OUTSTANDING, my dear Watson. How could I have missed that.

Biffa - if you want to take an intelligent part in this conversation, post something intelligent. Otherwise, please just stay out of it. I've had enough of this contentless, inflammatory rubbish, to be quite honest.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

If we want to reduce crime, we must understand why people commit crime in the first place. The prime, overriding motivating factor behind the amount of crime on our streets is not alcohol or poverty of lack of facilities, it is the knacker attitude. This attitude is one of complete disrespect for other human beings and for other people’s security, happiness and property. Therefore, when I speak of getting rid of knackers, I refer to getting rid of the knacker mindset. How can this be done? By vigorous enforcement of the law and the intoduction of appropriate, effective punishments. The knacker mindset is allowed to prevail in this society because there is no effective rule of law and this is what must change. How many knackers are arrested for shouting racial abuse at strangers on the street? How many knackers are arrested for smoking, drinking or doing drugs on public transport? How many knackers are arrested for disturbing the peace on our streets? A tiny fraction of the total.

I don’t keep harping on about it because I want to provoke a reaction, but because I believe it is the only way we will see effective change in our society. What is so "inflammatory" about that?

Advertisement