Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intranet advice

Options
  • 27-11-2002 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

Right im looking into maybe setting up an intranet for the compnay i work in and would appreciate some advice.

I have very little webpage/HTML expierience , so what programmes should i use ?

Also what spec of a system should i stick it on , i dont have a spare server , so would a p2 or p3 be sufficient ?

And finally can some one tell me how you set up the intranet address ? I would like it to be easy and not some hard to remember ip or something ...or will this be easy to setup ?

All help very much appreciated .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Darth Homer
    Also what spec of a system should i stick it on , i dont have a spare server , so would a p2 or p3 be sufficient ?

And finally can some one tell me how you set up the intranet address ? I would like it to be easy and not some hard to remember ip or something ...or will this be easy to setup ?

All help very much appreciated .

Depends on the size of the company & the amount of and type of pages that will be served. If you'll just be serving static HTML pages (little or no processing) and people will only look at it once or twice a day, then what you have is fine. However, if it's going to be high-processing, eg php scripts, and constant updating (like boards.ie) you might wanna soup it up a bit. Ditto if it's for a large company (>500) you might wanna set it up for server performance (ie remove windows, install linux/unix).

As long as it won't have any way of accessing the internet (or of being accessed from the internet) you can give it a 10.x.x.x address. If there are other computers in the network without direct net access, you can set it up on their address. ie if you have a few computers (ideally mail servers and stuff) with addresses 10.24.24.x, just set up the web server with a 10.24.24.x address. And make sure everyone can access it (may need firewall/DNS/Router configs).

Advertisement