Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alice's Restaurant returns!

• 27-11-2002 3:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭

yes..for a limited time on Sundays 11am - 2pm we will be playing the "best of" 91-95 with early shows from Hugh OBrien, loLo, Joss etc..we will also mix in some later X stuff. D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! Should be funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Ant

Woohooooo!

That's great news to me. I started listening to Alice's Restaurant back in '93 and since then I've thought it was a pity that I hadn't recorded some of the shows myself. I'm a bit of a nostalgia head and I'd love to hear the stuff that was being played back then.

Since this is my first post here, I'll use the opportunity to thank all the XFM DJs both past and present for the great music that I've been introduced to.

Cheers guys,
    -Anthony

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭joss

Haha.
    This may be good for a larf.

Hey, is that Anthony from Dalkey of Loserdom infamy?

By the way, somebody recently played me something from even further back in my murky past, i.e. a RadioActive show from 1992 (ten... fluckin'... years... ago!). Dearie me, but my accent was ricocheting from Foxrock to Tallaght and back again. (Some would say it still does, but this was hilarious...) But I would still stand by 95% of the stuff I played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

I have u on radioactive on tape but the quaility isnt great.....and mr snowman as well.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Lolo
    Hey, is that Anthony from Dalkey of Loserdom infamy?

No. This would be the Anthony who was in touch via email after I had my birthday at your 80s night in the Dice bar last summer.

However I do know an Anthony from Dalkey who could well be the one from Loserdom. He's a fellow critical masser and he likes his punk rock. He even has a Redneck Manifesto tune called after him and (presumably) his siblings.

- Anthony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭o sleep

ack. i have to work on sundays. i still have around five or six tapes of songs recorded from alice's restaurant, with lots of the djs (mostly just caroline - i think her name was - and scotty scot - i'm not too sure if this was his name either) talking and stuff. they were happy days. those two djs got me into most of the music i was listening to for the better part of the nineties. sigh. is there any chance that this show will be repeated at any time??

Originally posted by o sleep
    ack. i have to work on sundays. i still have around five or six tapes of songs recorded from alice's restaurant, with lots of the djs (mostly just caroline - i think her name was - and scotty scot - i'm not too sure if this was his name either) talking and stuff. they were happy days. those two djs got me into most of the music i was listening to for the better part of the nineties.

Indeed. If I remember correctly, they both played on a Saturday evening. The Scottish guy was on first after 6. (I mostly remember him for playing British indie likes of Pulp and shoe-gazey bands such as Ride). I believe Caroline came on later after 8. I remember her more for the American alternative such as Primus and Butthole Surfers. Although I could be confusing her with another female DJ who used to play on Friday nights around that time.

Very happy days. Being too broke to go out on a Saturday night didn't seem too bad when we had Alice's Restaurant to keep us entertained. That probably sounds sad but I can still think of worse ways of spending a Saturday night. [I happen to be in work right now.]

-Anthony

Cheers guys. Sunday was much appreciated.

Hearing well-loved tracks from bands such as Curve, Lush, The Verve, The Breeders, Mercury Rev, Levitation and Daisy Chainsaw brought a smile back to my face.

Originally posted by Ant
    No. This would be the Anthony who was in touch via email after I had my birthday at your 80s night in the Dice bar last summer.

Ah yes, that Anthony. Hello!
    Originally posted by Ant

However I do know an Anthony from Dalkey who could well be the one from Loserdom. He's a fellow critical masser and he likes his punk rock. He even has a Redneck Manifesto tune called after him and (presumably) his siblings.

Sounds like the same Anto alright. You don't meet many people called Anthony here in England, they all become Tonys at birth.

Looking forward to some cringe-inducing nostalgia when I'm back for Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭joss

Hey Daithi.
    Can you have the Alices stuff archived on the XFM site so people can listen in work?
    Like me, for example...

will do..ive lots to do with X when I get this work binge out of the way around dec 12th

i still have around five or six tapes of songs recorded from alice's restaurant, with lots of the djs (mostly just caroline - i think
    Give us a email...I would'nt mind copying those for archive...david Xfm

Advertisement