Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm finally getting a new Pc, like it?

• 27-11-2002 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

I'm finally getting my Pc this thursday *fingers crossed*.

Its a kick ass one to.

Heres the specs and stuff...

2.5 ghz pentium 4
    1gb sdr ram
    200gb hard drive
    128bit geforce 4
    dvd rom
    cdrw
    gigabyte motherboard
    floppy drive "obviously"
    case
    k/board
    optical mouse
    flat bed scanner
    hp printer
    xp home ed
    speaker subwoofer 1200

The above will cost me 2550 Euro including building cost, due to whole sale prices and the person hos doing it i've known for ayear and owns a net cafe.

plus my old 2gb hard drive and my old outboard 100mb zip drive.

Nice huh?

Although I won't have net at home for a good while.

Whats evryone else got?

Ltr!!
    Raife!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by Raife
    I'm finally getting my Pc this thursday *fingers crossed*.

Its a kick ass one to.

Heres the specs and stuff...

2.5 ghz pentium 4
    1gb sdr ram

[snipped]

Ltr!!
    Raife!! :)

Hmmm, hopefully thats a typo and should say 1GB DDR RAM (or Rambus)..

Hope you are getting a huge monitor included in that price too..

matt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

Coolermaster ATC-201 Case
    p4 2.53 ghz "northwood"
    asus P4T533-C 478/533mhz Motherboard
    Plextor IDE 48x/24x/48x CD-RW
    Pioneer DVD drive IDE 16x/40x Slot-in
    120GB Western Digital 8mb buffer HD
    512mb 1066mhz samsung rambus
    radeon 9700 128mb
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum!
    Volcano 7+ Heatsink
    Desktop Theatre DTT2200 5.1 Surround Sound/Sub-Woofer
    Plantronics DSP500
    fUnC sUrface 1030

ty, and nn :D

baz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

if i had 2250 i`d want a lot more.

mine came to the sum of

€2100

o_0

baz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

sydicespecial.jpg

• Advertisement

Ok, well then Ill beat you Barra :D

P4 2.5GHz C1 running at 3700mhz (for now..)
    512MB DDR400
    Radeon r9700
    19" Planar TFT

rest of the specs the same (well, Audigy2 player and smaller HDD for me). I havent toted up costs, but my system didnt cost more than 2.5K, including the €700 cooling system.

Matt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

No Raife , I don't like your machine. In fact I hate it ;-) Seriously, I think it's a bit overpriced. I like Barra's tho'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Originally posted by BArra
    Coolermaster ATC-201 Case
    p4 2.53 ghz "northwood"
    asus P4T533-C 478/533mhz Motherboard
    Plextor IDE 48x/24x/48x CD-RW
    Pioneer DVD drive IDE 16x/40x Slot-in
    120GB Western Digital 8mb buffer HD
    512mb 1066mhz samsung rambus
    radeon 9700 128mb
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum!
    Volcano 7+ Heatsink
    Desktop Theatre DTT2200 5.1 Surround Sound/Sub-Woofer
    Plantronics DSP500
    fUnC sUrface 1030

ty, and nn :D

baz

What do you plan to do with dat, complex maths equations?
    Thats one hell of a machine, take a bow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Barra's PC is standard spec, I don't see what's so l337 about it :rolleyes:

Raife, that is seriously too much to be paying for a PC like that. Did you get the moon on a stick with it too? I should hope so.

a lot of my parts are top of the line so i reckon its above average...

matt, check out the 512mb of rambus <----
    oh mine is a radeon 9700PRO, there is a differance :/

baz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

A pretty good machine (I hope the RAM is high spec DDR at the price)

I would have thought that at first sight you could have gotten the job done cheaper.

"Case" doesn't say a lot either, for that price I'd want one kick ass Antec or Coolermaster one.

A 200GB HDD adds a lot to cost too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Originally posted by dempseyt
    What do you plan to do with dat, complex maths equations?
    Thats one hell of a machine, take a bow

its for online solitare

a lot of my parts are top of the line so i reckon its above average...

matt, check out the 512mb of rambus <----
    oh mine is a radeon 9700PRO, there is a differance :/

baz

Ok, my Radeon is a PRO as well (the non-pros are only just out, I have mine for months), I just wasnt bothered putting in the super extra "Pro" tag.

I see you have Rambus, its nice and fast indeed, but so is CAS2 DDR400. I intend getting a Dual Channel DDR board and using my existing ram along side another.

I do think its rather humorous that you think Rambus really makes any difference with a CPU running so s l o w. Yeah, my CPU really runs at 3700, and when I was buying the parts for this system the privilage of Rambus over DDR paid for half my cooling system. I went with the cooling system.

Im sure what Koneko was referring to was that a quick stroll to Dell.ie gets you pretty much your entire system (bar the case, fine).. and last time I checked, Dells were still just "Dells", big whoop..

Matt

3700 ? hmmmm

u might have over 3ghz but u dont have hyper threading..

dell pc's are **** imo, the parts they sell are crap most of the time.

and who said i cant overclock mine to over the 3ghz mark :/ ? i certainly have the cooler for it, and the case also has 3 80mm fans exhausting any heat inside the case,

also i cant read minds, the PRO and non PRO are totally differant cards

also you must have gotten some very cheap components to keep that system under 2.5k ? a radeon months ago ??? were they even out months ago ? , if so it must have being v.pricey

baz

Whta kind of cooling are you running to get 3.7 out of that P4 Matt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

This thread is pretty pathetic.

Indeed ... hence some of us not actually posting specs.

But one has to let people who've just expended vast quantities of money on new hardware (wisely or unwisely) show it off and be brought down to earth with a bang ;)

Anyway, it's the people who grind that extra performance out of their hardware who deserve the respect not the people running expensive CPU's at stock speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Originally posted by elexes
    its for online solitare

No, you'll need quad Xeon's or something for that and DSL or T3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

well i dunno who said BArras machine was standard, because it's very powerful for a home user machine,

and dell in my opinion make good machines, no real complaints about the parts,

my machine was good in its day - anyway on with the crap

dell : xp home/linux red hat 8
    p4 1.7
    256 ddr ram
    80 gb (7,200 rpm)
    64 mb geforce 2 mx tv out (which does me very nicely thank you)
    soundblaster live 1024
    sub woofer / speakers etc..
    logitech pro cam 3000
    optical / wireless logitech mouse/keyboard
    flatscreen monitor
    cd-rw/dvd combo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

I don't think you are going to get near Matts 3.7GHz Barra with a volcano as i would say Matt is using some phase- change cooling to get that overclock.

• Advertisement

3700 ? hmmmm
    "u might have over 3ghz but u dont have hyper threading.."

I sure dont... but then again I never said I did!?

"and who said i cant overclock mine to over the 3ghz mark :/ ? i certainly have the cooler for it, and the case also has 3 80mm fans exhausting any heat inside the case,"

Well, off you go, let us know how you get on.

"also i cant read minds, the PRO and non PRO are totally differant cards also you must have gotten some very cheap components to keep that system under 2.5k ? a radeon months ago ??? were they even out months ago ? , if so it must have being v.pricey"
    baz

Not any more expensive than they are now. I bought it very nearly two months ago, from www.crucial.com . When I purchased I didnt have to pay VAT (US Site), unfortunately since then I recieved a VAT invoice in the post :(. Basically I ended up paying just under Komplett's price for their Hercules version. AFAIK, the Radeons price hasnt really changed much, and wont till it receives some competition. I buy lotsa stuff from Ebay, such as the 19" TFT, cost me $699 there, $1200 new at the time.

Originally posted by leeroybrown
    Whta kind of cooling are you running to get 3.7 out of that P4 Matt?

Im using a Prometeia, its similar to a Vapochill but considerably more powerful. See www.chip-con.com for more info.

Originally posted by PiE
    Re: My dick is bigger than yours.
    This thread is pretty pathetic.

Yes well, it is awfully big, Ill have to admit. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

"I've got a cheese sandwich, it cost €2.20"

"I've got a cheese sandwich WITH pickle and it only cost €1.50!"

"Yeah but mine's a TOASTED cheese sandwich and I got half a bag of Tayto thrown in for only €1.10!"

Well done for building high-specced machines guys but powerful PC's really aren't worth falling out over.

Cheese butties on the other hand.......;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

Anyway, it's the people who grind that extra performance out of their hardware who deserve the respect not the people running expensive CPU's at stock speeds.

I agree with leeroybrown .

Matts acheivement is to be commended. However I have to say the rig BabyEater built impresses me more... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

Glad to see somebody knows quality when they see it Marauder

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I build my computer there last night,
    AMD 2200+
    512pc2700 ddr
    120gig 8mb 7200rmp
    k4 ultra mainboard,
    lg 48x/16x/48x
    Radeon 9700 pro
    optical mouse
    e-star case
    all for just a little over 1,100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Actually I have a Dell P4 2ghz at work and its practically silent and quite nippy. It has a fantastic Sony 19" monitor. Mine has decent components in it too. To tell the truth after years of building my own PC's I think the next time I'll buy a Dell. No overclocking options though, boo. Still its a really solid and stable machine. 5 of my m8's have Dells too and they are all very happy with them.

Currently I'm running a P4 1.8@2.4 at home and I don't see much difference in speed between it and the Dell for most stuff. I've found it much harder to build a machine thats as quiet as the Dell too.

(incidentally it has no floppy drive. I haven't used one in years)

Originally posted by marauder
    I agree with leeroybrown .

Matts acheivement is to be commended. However I have to say the rig BabyEater built impresses me more... ;)

LOL... I had a ghetto mod before this too:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50453

Pity I didnt post the pics, but it was messy, traded it in for the Prometeia.

Nice spec Lenny, did well to keep it within that price range too.

Matt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Raife, tbh I think you may be getting ripped off. I'm putting together a similar machine with half the ram and hard drive, but a 19" LG Flatron monitor for about 600 euro less all in. ( It may work out even less. ) The scanner and printer aren't worth over 150 unless they are particularly good. I'd say you are paying 200 euro over the odds, roughly.

As for the comparing specs crap, well this happens every so often. It is fairly pathetic a lot of the time, but a lot of people will feel the urge to somehow justify their purchases by boasting about them. As others have said its a lot more useful to talk about how much tweaking you have done to the machine, rather than how fast a stock chip you have bought.

Matt, 3700 is a great overclock, but I'd say you paid plenty for that 2.5 C1. There are 1.8 Ghz C1 parts out now which have gone to 3.5ghz. I'd be happy with a 1.8 at a little over 3 on air cooling.

I also think that you are misunderestimating the difference between ddr and rambus. Most people running ddr have not got cas2 ddr 400, they have cas2.5 266 or 333, sometimes they may run at cas2. The p4 even at moderate speeds is bandwidth hungry, once you get over 2ghz there is a sizeable performance increase to be had from going to pc1066 rambus.

However dual ddr should work nicely for you, when it becomes available. I'd say you will see a decent speed boost with a granite bay board.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Gerry

Matt, 3700 is a great overclock, but I'd say you paid plenty for that 2.5 C1. There are 1.8 Ghz C1 parts out now which have gone to 3.5ghz. I'd be happy with a 1.8 at a little over 3 on air cooling.

I also think that you are misunderestimating the difference between ddr and rambus. Most people running ddr have not got cas2 ddr 400, they have cas2.5 266 or 333, sometimes they may run at cas2. The p4 even at moderate speeds is bandwidth hungry, once you get over 2ghz there is a sizeable performance increase to be had from going to pc1066 rambus.

When I bought the C1, the 2.5s were the only ones available at a decent price. Even now, purchasing a 1.8 will still most likely get you a B0.

I dont think Im misunderstanding anything about DDR vs Rambus. Rambus evangelists have a habit of assuming Rambus makes up for any\all deficiencies in their system, when all results of seen has shown a minuscule performance increase over Cas2 DDR333, let alone DDR400.
    I wasn't claiming defacto DDR400 was CAS2, merely pointing out that I wasn't too worried about not having RAMBUS as my DDR400 does run at CAS2.

In regards to bragging about purchases, may I remind all you "holier than thou" types that the original poster asked what other peoples specs were like, presumably in the same price bracket (2K). Since this was point of the thread, I find the snipes from those with "level heads" to be misplaced and pointless.

How about someone with a fast Rambus system posts some benchmarks in a new thread (on HW Tweaking?). Im talking about advanced, modern games\progs here, ie Commanche4, all details on. I am genuinely interested in the real world speed of both memory types. No hype, no BS, no "select" benchmarks.

matt

Advertisement