Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pink floyd- dark side o the moon????

Options
  • 27-11-2002 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

just acquired this excellent tasty album and was astonished to learn that if you play it in sync with the original wizard of oz (after the third mgm lion snarl) that the whole thing coincides with the film

IS THIS TRUE??? i have to know and if so which is the "original" version of the wizard o oz and where could i get a copy would it still be m,ainstream viewing in the local video store???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Gadzookes! Where did you read that? I've been a Floyd fan for 20 plus years and I've never heard that one...mind you as the album is about 45 mins and the film is 100 mins they would'nt sync very well!

As for the Wizard of Oz it should be availible for rent in a big quality video shop but if you wait a few weeks, its a Xmas favourite so it'll be one one or more channels soon. If you have TCM on your telly
    that'll definitly show it as its an MGM release.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Ah yeah.... its called Synchronicity.

http://www.synchronicityarkive.com/

Read loads more there (including other strange sync'ed stuff, like:

Toy Story/The Wall
    Titanic/The Wall
    Akira/Wish You Were Here

Some of them are a bit of a stretch, but its a fun read...

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

And here is the DSOTR one you asked about (Dark Side Of The Rainbow!)

http://www.synchronicityarkive.com/dsotr.php

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by mike65
    Gadzookes! Where did you read that? I've been a Floyd fan for 20 plus years and I've never heard that one...mind you as the album is about 45 mins and the film is 100 mins they would'nt sync very well!

loop it.. sure thats why the heartbeat at the start and end match .. apparently it stays in sync. with the film anyway.

and 20plus years? under a rock? twas one of the first myths i ever heard about floyd :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Heard this a good few times before. Although ive never tried it, Im still convinced that its an enourmous coincidence. I just cant believe theyd go to the trouble to arrange the entire album so that it syncs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

I'd love to try it tho :)

Luc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

I heard this about "echoes" on Meddle. Apparently it synchs perfectly with the dreamy end sequence of 2001 - A space Oddesey.

By coincidence I'm actually listening to Animals at the moment....

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Ye can't have been that much Pink Floyd fans. The Wizard of Oz thing has been around for years with guys doing M.Sc.'s on it.
    Have a look at http://folk.uio.no/ericsp/floyd.html if you really want to screw up your mind.

Have you any of ye seen Pink Floyd live??

nah just roger waters at glastonbury.. still tho Wish You Were Here and Time live .. heaven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The fact I knew nothing of this rampantly silly er concept
    means I'm not as sad as I thought I was. :D

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by thegills

no:(

Saw waters at the point tho. Some really amazing moments in that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Its true, my friend took the liberty of taping the wizard of oz one christmas just so i could test it!! I first heard about it about two years ago when i waf flicking around the radiowaves and i heard the words Dark side of the moon, which caught my attention.

Its amazing, try it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Since we are all Floyd freaks here... I got the DVD of the division bell... WOOOOOOOW!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

yes this is true.. had a session in a friend's house, tried it, it works a ****ing charm, the bell effects in money co-incide with a cut to some biatch cycling down the road, and at one point, forget what song it is, there's a big drum roll as toto jumps out of the bicycle basket and a clash on the drums as he hits the ground. it synchronises perfectly.

I can't imagine the wall synchronising with titanic etc properly, tbh that's bollocks imo.. dark side of the moon syncs in so perfectly that it must have been written with the movie in mind.

Currently downloading a divx of wizard of oz with dark side of the moon already layered over :D

Originally posted by Bananas
    Since we are all Floyd freaks here... I got the DVD of the division bell... WOOOOOOOW!!!!!!

Seen Roger Waters - In The Flesh DVD for a hella low 20.99 in hmv today (low as in Bjork DVDs are ~40 in hmv)... probably well worth a pick-up if you don't have the In The Flesh double-cd, had to put it back on the shelf though as it would have pushed me over the €110 spending mark (damn low-priced jazz cds keep getting me)..

plus I'm waiting for the Live In Pompeii DVD... *dear jesus, you are all powerful so please make the film publishers release it on dvd*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Don't know about Darkside of the Moon working but if you play 'Jump' by Van Halen during a particular scene in Return of the Jedi the results are mildly amusing.

The scene in question is the one with the speeder bikes. Start the tune just as Chewie sticks his head out from behind the tree and immerse yourself in 4 minutes of bizarre coincidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

got that on VCD. some enterprising individual in the US made a great pair of VCDs using the film + the album soundtrack.

saw Floyd (less-Waters) live in 1990 at Knebworth. Great stuff - Sam Brown (now in Jools Holland band) did the great-gig-in-the-sky solo. Nice.

Anyone headin to australian pink floyd in the olympia on saturday then? haven't seen them before and supposed to be absolutely amazing and spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

Aussie PF are excellent, saw them in the Olympia about 6 years ago... comfortably Numb was fantastic, perfect guitar work you'd swear guilmor was there or you were listening to Delecate sound of thunder. ... enjoy.. :D

The beer was in plastic containers though... :mad: hate that..

Advertisement