Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MERRY CHRISTMAS to IrelandOFFline & Boards.ie ?...

Options
  • 27-11-2002 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

I wish a very **Merry Christmas and a Happy new year, to ALL at :- IrelandOFFline [IOFFL] and their hosts, Boards.ie.

From,

Paddy20:;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

I'm guessing here but if this is early because you are off on one of your "trips" to Dublin then I hope it goes well for you and that we see you back here soon, hale and hearty and making noise as usual.

j

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

I second that paddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Question: MERRY CHRISTMAS to IrelandOFFline & Boards.ie ?...

Answer: erm... YES!

What's this... our second Christmas since the inception of the organisation? It's nice to see that there's something to show for it... that being UTVip, Esat NetSmart and, albeit ridiculously overpriced, eircom i-stream. The ultimate goals of IOFFL are still a good bit off yet, of course.

Speaking of Christmas, I'm looking forward to seeing if Esat BT *do* actually release a 256Kbps DSL product by then...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Happy Christmas!

What is IOFFL's birthday by the way?

Originally posted by Gordon
    Happy Christmas!

May 13th 2001

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by Gordon

Hmm, theres a few contenders for that.
    13-05-2001 - First meeting takes place of 'concerned netizens' in light of the Esat Letter (cant find the thread with the photo in it :( )

19-05-2001 Ireland Offline name is chosen

21-05-2001 Website goes live.

edit: Gah, foiled by the website :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Originally posted by paddy20
    I wish a very **Merry Christmas and a Happy new year, to ALL at :- IrelandOFFline [IOFFL] and their hosts, Boards.ie.

From,

Paddy20:;)

And good tidings to you sir:)

It's yet another sign that christmas gets closer every year....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

*looks at his watch* ... its still November ... bah humbug

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Hmm, theres a few contenders for that.
    13-05-2001 - First meeting takes place of 'concerned netizens' in light of the Esat Letter (cant find the thread with the photo in it :( )

19-05-2001 Ireland Offline name is chosen

21-05-2001 Website goes live.

edit: Gah, foiled by the website :)

The idea for a national organisation for Internet users in Ireland actually stretches back further, with meetings having taken place back in February of 1999 with a view to forming such a pressure group.

( usenet discussion which led to the formation of the ill-fated IUGI ... which fell apart, despite all good intentions... just as well IrelandOFFLine was vastly more successful!)

Good old archive.org and google.com, eh? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

And what does everyone want in their xmas stocking?

DSL or FRIACO if you're nice.

An evening out with Etain Doyle if your naughty.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'll be nice, really I will! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

bah, its still 4 weeks away :confused: I hate when people get premature. Christmas for me starts when I say goodbye to the job for a few days :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Bah,this goes to show how much the installation of DSL really is.
    the fat man in red is bringing me that this year :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

insane poster is right;) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Originally posted by ando
    bah, its still 4 weeks away :confused: I hate when people get premature.
    Normally feel same way but if you read Paddy's previous posts you will understand he has his own reasons for being early.

Best wishes to you, Paddy in every possible way.

Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Same to you P20 and a Happy Birthday too :)

OHP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Merry Christmas to you as well Paddy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

dont wanna say merry poxy humbug christmas.
    I do wanna say cheers to ireland offline people for doing those things they do.
    good job fellas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Hi Folks,

Dustaz may have locked my "Who agrees that IrelandOFFline have almost won the **Campaign ? thread.

However, you can still wish them a Merry Xmas here- at the moment?

Best wishes too one and all," Even Dustaz?".... but hurry up before this is LOCKED as well??...!.

See you.

Paddy20 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

After all it is nearly xmas :D

Happy christmas to one and all ho ho ho :D

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

There are and have been many internet "concerned" groups. I think May 13th is as good a starting date for IOFFL as can be picked.
    There are other groups out there (IIU, OPEN even as far back as the EFI) but each has its agenda and activity level. IOFFL has been very successful and its creation should be celebrated imho (as a simple member)

As for Boards.ie, thanks for the christmas wishes, we've really given very little to the IOFFL people that they couldnt have done themselves but its made both groups stronger and its curious that we are seeing a huge jump in impressions on the site as Broadband starts to roll out...
    A roundabout christmas gift from IOFFL to Boards.ie I think :)

Here's to another year of cheering you guys on from the sidelines!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Dev,

Getting way OT now, but just wondering, if you have any idea of numbers of poeple who are on boards because of IOFFL.

I know that I for one joined boards because of IOFFL way back in May '01

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

I was led here by an IOFFL link. But I have found at least 4 other boards which are of interest. Can you track this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Hey,

Nice too see people back wishing a merry Xmas to one and all?

COOL:p

Paddy20;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Getting way OT now, but just wondering, if you have any idea of numbers of poeple who are on boards because of IOFFL.

Be very hard to do. You'd get some from the first post people made on Boards, but most of the people on web forums are lurkers. And you can't do it with the first thread people viewed, because it's not logged. Easiest way'd be to ask I reckon.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

I also found the Boards by reading about IOFFL in the media.

For me, boards.ie came first. I was using the boards for about a year before IrelandOFFLine came along.

When I was putting the first IrelandOFFLine web site together, I thought that it'd be a good idea to get a discussion board set up on this site for the organisation.

So I did it... and myself and dahamsta moderated it for a time... which proved to be both a frustrating and rewarding experience at the best of times! The baton of moderatorship has since been passed on to Dustaz and sceptre who are doing an excellent job of keeping the control and direction of the forum in check.

It's nice to see how the general conversation and attitudes on this forum have evolved and grown since it's fairly rocky start. The forum and the organisation have both been through some difficult times but it's great to see both carrying on relatively succesfully.

May you all have a Merry Christmas, full of speedy downloads and reliable connections ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Say

"Happy christmas to you too Paddy20"

gwan ya divil

M

Originally posted by Bard
    ... May you all have a Merry Christmas ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

The spirit of Christmas wins through in the end :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement