Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MERRY CHRISTMAS to IrelandOFFline & Boards.ie ?...

Options
2»

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Thats an interesting question (about what draws people here).

Undoubtedly people have found boards.ie through IOFFL. (IOFFL actually kinda advertise themselves while the Boards guys...um... well ... we like cake!). Noone finds Boards just by typing in random letters into a browser. Someone always tells them about some Board or other and they are then enticed to stay by finding other boards they are interested in. THEN THEY ARE MINE MOOHAAAHA... *cough* ... sorry about that.

Undoubtedly IOFFL is one of the busiest boards at times. During the recent upheaval we've had upwards of 30 people on the board.
    Now we have 215 at max people on boards at any time so while thats not a majority or anything, its a nice chunk.

I think the two things complement each other nicely now. Boards has (quite gratifyingly) become one of the main congregation points for technologists in Ireland. As such we can raise awareness of IOFFL amongst new members. This works both ways as IOFFL also draws technologists to Boards.

Theres no doubt in my mind that we have both grown stronger together.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Hmm, heres an idea. Everyone senf a Christmas card with their wishlist to the lads in IrelandOffline, then IrelandOffline delivers all these cards to the government.

Seen it working before for another group. Got some nice coverage, it being of a Christmas theme and all that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Jeebus Tom, you're getting more like McCormac every day. How long before you become a recluse and spend your entire day watching spiders and hacking set-top boxes?

heh

adam

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ah but JMCC doesnt have TINFOIL UNDERPANTS LIKE I DO to keep the IEDR from stealing my thoughts!

Anyway, what brought on that comparsion?

DeV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Ah but JMCC doesnt have TINFOIL UNDERPANTS LIKE I DO to keep the IDER from stealing my thoughts!

Course he does, I only sold him a pair last week. :)

Anyway, what brought on that comparsion?

The "Boards Is Wonderful" diatribes are a little reminiscent of the "whoisireland.com is great" stuff from John. S'alright boy, I'm only pullin' yer leg.

adam

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm very proud of (and protective of) Boards.ie.
    Its really important that we have somewhere for just regular joe-soaps to be able to communicate without feeling part of someones Business Plan....

I mean, theres NO WAY a limited company with shareholders and investors and a board of directors could host IOFFL. I mean, half the stuff here is sufficently actionable to at least *threaten* a case against a company.

Freedom of speech wont be lost through dictators and fascism. It'll be lost to corporate liability concerns.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by DeVore
    I mean, half the stuff here is sufficently actionable to at least *threaten* a case against a company.

And thats the stuff that gets though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

DeVore,

You said it, "Freedom of speech" eh.

Nice one.

Merry Christmas to you and all at Boards.ie:D

Yours,

Paddy20:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Freedom of speech wont be lost through dictators and fascism. It'll be lost to corporate liability concerns.

DeV.
    At least we don't live in China... although, they do have broadband I guess :)

zynaps

Nollaig Shona everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I mean, half the stuff here is sufficently actionable to at least *threaten* a case against a company.

Or try to DoS them?

*Someone* DoS'ed the IOFFL web site TWICE during the time I was running it (and the attacks knocked it offline, along with a number of commercial web sites which were sharing the same server)...

The IP address of the attacker was interesting to say the least...

Pretty ripe, tbh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

The IP address of the attacker was interesting to say the least...

Oh, do tell!

Timod,

I totally agree with you, "Oh, do tell!" Bard.

Name & Shame ! Go on?

Paddy20:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Oh, do tell!

No.

I'm not making any accusations.

I didn't see the IP address, - I was just told by the server administrator quite clearly what network it came from. There's a subtle clue in the last post.

Anyway, this happened over a year and a half ago and and I've mentioned it before ... so it's hardly 'news'.

HOW, can anyone - now - not wish "IrelandOFFline & Boards.ie" a **Merry Christmas and a HAPPY NEW YEAR?.

After Davids magnificent WIN, even I feel like getting legless? but I am not allowed too - at the moment, but heres hoping!.

I have not felt so pleased, since I first discovered NOOKIE??...

Yours,

Paddy20:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by paddy20
    HOW, can anyone - now - not wish "IrelandOFFline & Boards.ie" a **Merry Christmas and a HAPPY NEW YEAR?.

After Davids magnificent WIN, even I feel like getting legless? but I am not allowed too - at the moment, but heres hoping!.

I have not felt so pleased, since I first discovered NOOKIE??...

Yours,

I DONT KNOW, how anyone? at - this - moment can not wish? "IrelandOFFline & Boards.ie" a **Merry Christmas and a HAPPY NEW YEAR?!?.

BUT, there are - always - begrudgers? and people who just dont like seeing other people succeed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

It is indeed? a - "sad" - state of affairs??.

Originally posted by richindub2
    It is indeed? a - "sad" - state of affairs??.
    I must? - ambivalently - agree??.

This thread should have more "Positive" replies than the UTV one!, and that is not because I started the thread - somewhat early - or with hindsight, was it?...

This is my true sentiment on this matter.

Yours,

Paddy20;)

Anyone NOT posting HAPPY CHRISTMAS to ALL the above. Will NOT be getting any Christmas "Prezzies"? This year!...

You have been warned, so do not blame me OK.

Yours,

Paddy20:p

Hey,

**It is the 1st day of December 2002, so why not wish everyone, including the " media Jourmalists " who lets face it have been a "great help" in making the general public aware of just how much they have been duped by Eircom.net?.

I am especially addressing the begrudgers and sceptics who as yet - have not been caught up in the spirit of the season?.

Lets, here from all and sundry. This Christmas there really is something too celebrate, am I right?...

Yours,

Paddy20,:D ;);):) :eek: :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I am especially addressing the begrudgers and sceptics who as yet - have not been caught up in the spirit of the season?.

Season? As you yourself pointed out it's only Dec 1st
    Let this tread go paddy20?

Originally posted by paddy20
    Hey,

**It is the 1st day of December 2002, so why not wish everyone, including the " media Jourmalists " who lets face it have been a "great help" in making the general public aware of just how much they have been duped by Eircom.net?.

Lets, here from all and sundry. This Christmas there really is something too celebrate, am I right?...

Yours,

Paddy20,:D ;);):) :eek: :cool:
    Why is? the 1st "day of December 2002" so - special - as to "warrant"? the "wish" which you dont - finish - off?

What are - we - supposed? to be "wishing" to these journalists?
    Are "you" in fact? wishing - them - testicular "cancer" as they - shunned - your attempts at "newspaper"? articles?!.

Celt22:o :rolleyes: :eek:

Great STUFF,

Keep it coming, I am enjoying every minute?

Yours,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pAddY20s cAT

meow
    mouse.gif

Paddy, you may be enjoying it but this thread is starting to descend into spam.

Ive talked to you in PM about it, but im asking you now to stop bumping the thread to keep it artificially active.

Everyone else, stop extracting the michael :)

Dustaz,

Many thanks for unlocking this thread.

This posting is not me bumping it up artificially. It is simply my way of letting those who wanted too wish a Merry Christmas to one and all on this particular thread. That they are now once again free to do so.

That is my last personal posting on this thread. If it withers and dies like a Christmas tree, it will not be my fault.

All the best.

Yours,

Paddy20 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

How are people supposed to be jovial and merry after that? :P

....ehh.. Merry chrimbo :)

zynaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Can we have the Christmas board back again ? And move this gobshites posts to there ? Rename the fricking recycle bin or something.

Its this kinda thing which is making me visit this lovely forum less.

Originally posted by Paddy20

Many thanks for unlocking this thread.

Paddy, it was never locked, it just dropped off the page due to no posts.
    That they are now once again free to do so.

Sorry, not any more. The thread has run its course , thank paddy20's cat for that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement