Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

heres Shinji

Options
  • 27-11-2002 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

you might want to look at this... He looks funny...

http://shop.eurogamer.net/img/mugshots/rob.jpg

its from eurogamer's new shop (powered by gameplay), I dont think its any good price wise for people in ireland.

but its a nice idea!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

I'm confused :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 monkeymonkey

Originally posted by El Marco
    I'm confused :(

look at the image by clicking on the link! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭[CALIBUR]

eh..? yea \:|

looked funny at the time!

the posts also about eurogamers shop, what do you think of that?

the big bad boys are making me cry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

It was inevitable that this (100% accurate) artist's impression of Rob was going to cause this sort of hysteria :/

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by #MEAT#
    muppet.jpg

Shut up.

And yes monkeyx2, the artists impression of Shinji is a bit funny :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

http://shop.eurogamer.net/img/mugshots/rob.jpg

the image on the front page of www.bluesnews.com looks like him.

with glasses + a goatee .( = ugly git ) j/k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

I'm still confused, and yes I clicked the link and yes I know what shinji looks like. I think I left my sense of humour in my other pants :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Wow a picture!

Lock this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Deleted Meat's utterly unfunny flaming.

By the way, I'm deeply insulted by the fact that you ba$tards actually think I look like that. I have a huge bloody grey beard like Karl bloody Marx in that picture!

(Which I don't have in real life before any smartar$e makes a comment....)

Er, anyway.... Feedback on what you think of the shop would also be appreciated. I know at the moment our delivery charge makes it financially unsound for Ireland (we're working on this) but aside from the prices, what do ye think?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I like it, "we only sell good games" is good idea.

And it’s another brilliant piece of work from eurogames art people, It’s a refreshing design for a online games shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

I think it's actually really really awful. I like the caustic wit. It's refreshing. But the only selling "good" games thing.... you have got to be kidding... What ever happened to freedom of choice? I don't want to be limited to buying only games that someone else thinks is good. Maybe a game you think is crap is a game someone else thinks is really good. So what if their opinion is in the minority, that doesn't mean they should be allowed to play the game.

This is exactly the problem with the games industry and many other industries at the moment... publishers only back big titles and spend far too much money backing them, cos they figure the less risks taken the better. Highstreet shops have only so much shelf space, so they only stock the games they think will sell really well. The fantastic benefit of online shops is that their storehouses can be anywhere, and therefore much less expensive per sq foot than highstreet shops, so they can afford to stock a much wider range of games - niche market games, out of print games, new developers' games - and it doesn't matter if they don't sell quickly. How could a small publisher or developer possibly have any hope of succeeding if all the outlets take the same stance as you, only cashing in on the really successful games and screwing the rest?

I know you're going to say you're not backing the big publishers' favourites, and that you're taking a gamer's point of view (rather than a marketer's) when you decide what games are "good", but that's not good enough. It's still a despotic principal, and it goes against the general idea of free choice. I should be able to buy a crap game if i want to, maybe because it's the only RPG set in cambodia, and that happens to just what i'm looking for, whether it's crap or not. Or any other dumb reason i might want to buy a crap game for. the point is, it should be MY choice, not yours.

Bear in mind i write this having seen only the comment on the concept page, and not having actually checked to see what titles are available, but that's because it's specifically the concept that i'm furious at.

I'm also aware that there are many places around to buy games, and i can use my wonderful freedom of choice to choose another instead of eurogamer shop, and that's probably what i'll do ;) Like i said it's just the concept that irks me, and it's one i hope won't be adopted by other retailers.

I'm getting the impression you might simply be a mainly reviewing merchant, and basically leave -everything- up to gameplay after someone reads your review and clicks the buy link. I accept this, if you're first and foremost a reviewer, that just happens to have amazon-style referring links to buy reviewed games from gameplay. But the impression you're putting across on your concept page suggests you're a retailer first and foremost, who just happens to review ( and filter :( ) the games you sell.

If you're going to be a referring reviewer, i still think it's fair to review the crap games ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Originally posted by Shinji
    I have a huge bloody grey beard like Karl bloody Marx in that picture!

I guess it's the manly-stchubble, which can be a reall killer on the thighs.

Think of the youth Rob...

K

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

the shop looks pretty good, sharp yet friendly.

As Balfa mentions in his rant, who decides what a good game is? (Hey Balfa, got time on your hands at the moment)

As for the artist impression of Shinji, it really takes the edge off looking at him in real life. :p

Originally posted by Balfa
    I think it's actually really really awful. I like the caustic wit. It's refreshing. But the only selling "good" games thing.... you have got to be kidding... What ever happened to freedom of choice? .

in real life not all shops sell all thing, why cant the internet be the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Fair enough, but as a purely PC gamer I have a total choice of... 4 games? And one of them's not even out yet?! And considering I don't really like RPGs, my options are.... Unreal Tournament 2003. That's taking the whole "we only sell good games" a little too far, no?!

Having said that, the prices seem good (for England), and the site has a clean, crisp professional feel.

Originally posted by meglome
    (Hey Balfa, got time on your hands at the moment)

lol, yes, plenty. which is why i'm filling it with silly pointless posts about end of level bosses ;)

Originally posted by Jazz
    Fair enough, but as a purely PC gamer I have a total choice of... 4 games? And one of them's not even out yet?! And considering I don't really like RPGs, my options are.... Unreal Tournament 2003. That's taking the whole "we only sell good games" a little too far, no?!

yes maybe, but *I think* its really only GamePlay using Eurogamer as a shop front and Eurogamer makes money from it.

• Advertisement

Yep - we're building on our back catalogue of titles at the moment. Right now you can really only buy stuff that's come out recently - we'll be adding a whole pile of older stuff for the next edition of the site on Sunday night though.

Monument - um, kinda, but the other way round really. Gameplay aren't using us as a shop front, we're using them as a fulfillment company :)

I think it's actually really really awful. I like the caustic wit. It's refreshing. But the only selling "good" games thing.... you have got to be kidding... What ever happened to freedom of choice?

You are still free to choose from the games there.
    I don't want to be limited to buying only games that someone else thinks is good. Maybe a game you think is crap is a game someone else thinks is really good. So what if their opinion is in the minority, that doesn't mean they should be allowed to play the game.

If they want the crap game so badly then they can go waste their money on it somewhere else. It seems like a fairly simple idea to me. Sell only good games = customers who purchase are happy with the game and the advice from Eurogamer. Sell bad games = customers unhappy, bad games returned. "Why did you sell me this game when you knew it was a load of rubbish ??"
    This is exactly the problem with the games industry and many other industries at the moment... publishers only back big titles and spend far too much money backing them, cos they figure the less risks taken the better. Highstreet shops have only so much shelf space, so they only stock the games they think will sell really well. The fantastic benefit of online shops is that their storehouses can be anywhere, and therefore much less expensive per sq foot than highstreet shops, so they can afford to stock a much wider range of games - niche market games, out of print games, new developers' games - and it doesn't matter if they don't sell quickly. How could a small publisher or developer possibly have any hope of succeeding if all the outlets take the same stance as you, only cashing in on the really successful games and screwing the rest?

What has this got to do with Eurogamer? They aren't making other online retailers follow their lead. And they stock games they think are good, not because they are 'big'.
    I know you're going to say you're not backing the big publishers' favourites, and that you're taking a gamer's point of view (rather than a marketer's) when you decide what games are "good", but that's not good enough. It's still a despotic principal, and it goes against the general idea of free choice. I should be able to buy a crap game if i want to, maybe because it's the only RPG set in cambodia, and that happens to just what i'm looking for, whether it's crap or not. Or any other dumb reason i might want to buy a crap game for. the point is, it should be MY choice, not yours.

See above. If you don't trust their opinions on whats good, don't shop there. I think it's a good idea, if you buy a game from there shop you know there's a very good chance it will be a good buy.
    Bear in mind i write this having seen only the comment on the concept page, and not having actually checked to see what titles are available, but that's because it's specifically the concept that i'm furious at.

Yes, I can see why you are so angry, after all they have trampled all over your rights...

Originally posted by Shinji
    Monument - um, kinda, but the other way round really. Gameplay aren't using us as a shop front, we're using them as a fulfillment company :)

i know that, my brain hasn’t woken up today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

That's not a grey beard Rob, its your 5 minute stubble. You don't happen to have your CTW oicture on your harddrive, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭Wossack

Im also interested in this 'only stock good games' idea... is it good games in which will sell well due to media hype, or actually honest-to-god good games? Daikatana vs Battlezone for example...
    Be interesting if I can find a pants game in their catalogue ;)

Originally posted by Wossack
    Im also interested in this 'only stock good games' idea... is it good games in which will sell well due to media hype, or actually honest-to-god good games? Daikatana vs Battlezone for example...
    Be interesting if I can find a pants game in their catalogue ;)

Atm it would be interesting to see if you can find A game in their catelogue ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Like i said it's just the concept that irks me, and it's one i hope won't be adopted by other retailers.
    What the fuck are you waffling about?
    *Every* highstreet clothing shop sells only the clothes that they want to sell, and only the clothes that are in fashion. They employ buyers to buy only the kind of clothes that that particular shop wants to sell. Do you moan about 'freedom of choice' in clothes shops?

Go into Game this christmas and watch thousands of mothers buy their kids games consoles, and the latest EA fifa cash cow. Not once will the shopkeepers tell the customer that fifa games are terrible and that ISS games are much better.

In Eurogamer's sales paradigm, you cannot buy bad games, only good ones.

Have you ever been to Richer Sounds? They only sell quality stereo equipment. They refuse to sell midi-systems, they only sell seperates. They offer you your money back if you cannot hear the difference in sound quality. Eurogamer sets up an elite-ist shop in this fashion and you have a 'set my people free' rant.

If you want to buy terrible games, go buy them elsewhere. Eurogamer will be the kind of shop where you buiy ICO and Res, not "Deathmatch Golf" and the kind of games Kevo plays on his Pee Ess Too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Leave rob alone, he's an ultra sexy man child!!!!

As for the game shop, I'll take a look later on today when I'm home from work... I need to get a life and get out more on a friday night :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

publishers only back big titles and spend far too much money backing them, cos they figure the less risks taken the better.

omg, you ever been in a business, or an industry, inwhich a risk can be the difference between u having a home the following year.

of course publishers are gonna back games that they believe will reap the greatest financial rewards, its business.
    Eurogamer will review games and not be biased, or bought, and so they help curve this by giving you a broadermind.
    FFS, if u dont like a game then dont buy it.

and the majourity of publishers will have a ****ing online shop for you to buy yours game sat, so if u cant find it in game then just buy it online.

PLyd on the shop Rob, its good for competition, drives down prices, will you stock X-box stuff though :P

Advertisement