Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

heres Shinji

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Im also interested in this 'only stock good games' idea... is it good games in which will sell well due to media hype, or actually honest-to-god good games? Daikatana vs Battlezone for example...

Actually good games only. We'd stock Battlezone but wouldn't touch Daikatana. We wouldn't have stocked Turok earlier this year despite the hype for it. We won't stock FIFA 2003 because PES2 is a better game.

Basically; if we wouldn't happily reccomend it to a friend who asked for buying advice for games, we won't stock it.

(We came very very close to not stocking Starfox Adventures because it's a disappointing game, it only went in at the last minute because I spoke to some people who've been really enjoying it - so we stock it but we do say very clearly in the listing that it's not as good as it should be, so the buyer has to beware. We're not afraid to say big-name games are rubbish in the interests of honesty.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭Wossack

I really like this idea, (only just checked out the webby now :rolleyes:), I personally hate buying games through ticking names off lists, its nice that you have reviews along side each game (well so promised anyway :)). I recomend having all of those magazine awards along side a game name aswell - PC Gamers Editors Choice award usually sells a game to me anyway ;)

Was gonna comment on being able to preorder games, but suppose you can see how a game is recieved in America.. ie, before its available over here.

Its a good concept anyways, and I wish you all the best in the future with it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

I think its a good idea but I doubt I'll be doing all my shopping there more likely just use it as a reference point like I would with any mag/web sites top 10 games or editor's pick. I think a reviewer no matter how good they are can sometimes be bias towards or against a game. I usually like to read a few reviews from difference sources before I'll go out and buy a game to get a general idea of what a games like. For instances the review Eurogamer gave mafia only pointed out the flaws in the game yet nearly everyone else was giving it great reviews. I bought the game and even though the flaws mentioned by Eurogamer were annoying it still turned out to be one of the most enjoyable games I've played this year. Having said that Eurogamer's reviews are usually spot on and of a very high standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Heh, i didn't think i'd been THAT hard on them, but i sure got roasted ;) Let me maybe clear up a few things...

Kaids, "Why did you sell me this game when you knew it was a load of rubbish ??"
    Well i did suggest they review everything, good and bad, and still have links to buy the bad games from gameplay. In which case, the answer to the above question is "we warned you before you bought it that it was crap, but we still list it so people can take a risk if they don't think highly of our review or they're looking for something specific that only this game has"

DeadBankClerk - I was really referring to online shops. I know i didn't state it in the particular sentence you quoted, but i had earlier on. I know highstreet stores already do this. If you read my post you'd see i mentioned this specifically.
    About the richer sounds thing. Fair play to them. Again, they have limited shelf space and therefore they have to position themselves somewhere in the market. As i mentioned, this doesn't matter in the online selling world, because "shelf space" isn't nearly as limited. See above.

Doodee, all excellent points :)
    Just one thing, the problem with the publisher's website thing is that the buyer has to be aware of the publisher, or the game, first... Reviews aren't just about grading a game... they also draw attention to a game. Everyone knows about EA, cos they have tonnes of money and spend loads on marketing. Smaller publishers may have good games too, but can't spend enough to get the regular buyer to notice the game or their website.

This shouldn't really be a problem cos eurogamer are reviewing all things equally, and not being biased by big budget games, which i knew all along. I hope they make a big effort to find more obscure games to review though; Sometimes a real gem can slip through the net.

I take the same view as Thorbar. I'll be using it only for the reviews, but that won't be the only review i read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

I think its a good idea, wont waste my time scrawling through games I know to be crap (No amazon, I REALLY dont care about the sims). Nonetheless overseas charges do sting quite a bit so Ill probaly stick with it as a reference.

• Advertisement
Advertisement