Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband

Options
  • 27-11-2002 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Dont know if this will intrest any1 or not, but yesterday I spoke to a guy in NTL's internet sales side of things who tells me there is definite plans to have a Broadband service up and running "not long after xmas"........ couldnt elaborate on whether it was ADSL, Cable or whatever, but he was pretty sincere.

He also told me that he and many of his co-workers are visiting these boards very regularly, which is always good to hear.

I know this could be old news, and yes i know the "After xmas line could technically mean any time till 12/12/03 *but* like i say, he was a nice guy and even seemed to be dipping his voice in case of being heard.
    As someone with a Bsc. in Ad. Psych & Behavioural Sci. I was happy he was being truthfull. ;)

just thought id mention it, i know its probably premature and prolly no one cares, but its info *shrug* which i spose is what these boards are all about.

Sincerely,

Bazz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by Dawntreader
    As someone with a Bsc. in Ad. Psych & Behavioural Sci. I was happy he was being truthfull. ;)

Hehe - I'd be happy if he was being truthful too. Did he say after what Christmas - where they were going to roll it out - where they were getting the money from?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The sunday trib. reported that NTL have no plans to roll out Broadband outside of Dublin west in the near future. It also report that if NTL were to sell NTL Ireland they would have to do so at a 3rd of the price the paid for it. It may sell due to its american company filling for chapter 11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

Considering they have chosen to effectively ignore Ireland, broadband wise, I really do hope ntl sell it off to someone willing to develop the network...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

E-island?????

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by Dawntreader
    Hi,
    Dont know if this will intrest any1 or not, but yesterday I spoke to a guy in NTL's internet sales side of things who tells me there is definite plans to have a Broadband service up and running "not long after xmas"........ couldnt elaborate on whether it was ADSL, Cable or whatever, but he was pretty sincere.

Well, if he couldnt tell you that it wasnt adsl, he clearly hasnt finished ntls training since they dont offer any sort of DSL :)
    just thought id mention it, i know its probably premature and prolly no one cares, but its info *shrug* which i spose is what these boards are all about.

Please dont take this the wrong way, as input is always appreciated on these forums, but the guy was almost defintly talking through his backside. NTL have no plans to do any major upgrades anytime soon.

Attention NTL Personell reading these boards: Either post here and prove us all wrong (My hat is waiting on a plate with a nice chianti) or JUST STOP LYING to consumers who just want to know the truth.

Im sick to the back teeth of NTL marketings misdirection and damn lies. If a twice yearly 'relaunch' isnt enough, they seem to insist on contradicting thier own MD at the drop of a hat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Well, the last time I rang NTL I got a chap who basically told me not to bother ringing again about Cable Internet as NTL have ABSOLUTLY NO PLANS to upgrade any more areas......EVER!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Has this chap been back lately? He's probably done a runner 'cause he knows he lied to us and knows that NTL have no intentions of upgrading the rest of their network.

Yer a gas man LFCfan!

Lets see what they do in the first 3 or 4 months of next year - then judge...

Originally posted by crawler
    Yer a gas man LFCfan!

Lets see what they do in the first 3 or 4 months of next year - then judge...

Do you seriously think that NTL have any intention of providing any sort of a decent service in this country? If they do then why are all profits pumped back into NTL UK. Sorry if I'm skeptical when if comes to NTL but they've been nothing but a pain in the arse from my first phone call to them to my recent cancellation of their Digital Service. I would gladly eat humble pie if they were to roll out their Cable internet service to the rest of us but I don't see that pie being eaten any time soon.

• Advertisement

:)

I agree with you 100% - until ntl prove themselves you have every right to be skeptical.

ntl is now ntl UK & Ireland after the restructure - Ireland is as important to ntl as the UK.

Let's see what they come up with. Until then , here's to hoping!

Originally posted by crawler
    Ireland is as important to ntl as the UK.

I'd doubt that very much to be honest but it would be nice to be proven wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Dr99

I think at this stage the only thing that will get NTL moving again on the Cable Internet issue is a threat from the Government to remove their cable monopoly. If they don't start shifting ass soon they should be slapped hard, maybe even fatally hard (in the Irish market anyway), why the hell should we have to put up with this bunch of useless wasters sitting on one of the most important Broadband technologies?

Sorry if this posting comes across a bit harsh, but I am completely fed up and not in the mood to give out any more chances.

Originally posted by Dr99
    I think at this stage the only thing that will get NTL moving again on the Cable Internet issue is a threat from the Government to remove their cable monopoly. If they don't start shifting ass soon they should be slapped hard, maybe even fatally hard (in the Irish market anyway), why the hell should we have to put up with this bunch of useless wasters sitting on one of the most important Broadband technologies?

Sorry if this posting comes across a bit harsh, but I am completely fed up and not in the mood to give out any more chances.

I agree with you totally and you're not being harsh enough in my opinion. NTL are stifling Broadband growth in this country and if it was anywhere else they wouldn't be allowed to get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

you may very well have cable and have heard the ' Digital ' word mentioned but the answers are

NO !

NO Plans

No Plans to have Plans

M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

NTL have previously said that they have plans for broadband next year. The method of delivery, speed and timing are the key questions.

It clearly won't be done via digging up the wires. Everyone knows that. However there are serious indications that it may be achieved via VOIP or wireless. In reply to my comment about doing it via VOIP on these boards the NTL rep said that it was one of the methods that they were considering. Given the recent success of a wireless trial in the UK, the possibility that they will choose wireless can not be ignored.

As for timing they said in an Irish Times interview that they planned to launch it in mid 2003. Given inevitable delays late 2003 may be more realistic.

I don't share everyone scepticism here about NTL's interest in broadband in Ireland. I would bet that there will be some sort of broadband launch by NTL in Ireland in 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Mid to Late 2003 isn't much good to us though, we need someone to force eircom to drop their prices NOW. NTL are probably the only company with enough sway to do that. Or they were until they went bankrupt ;\

Wasn't there a post here a few weeks ago about NTL launching an ISDN service (or was I imagining things?) Maybe the guy thinks thats broadband.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Broadband via VOIP?

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Broadband via VOIP?

adam

It's a new New tech EXCLUSIVE to NTL

better know as 'Pigs Might Fly'

M

Advertisement