Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTVip dial-up now inaccessible to scripted pppd

Options
  • 27-11-2002 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

According to UTVip's helpdesk, their network engineers "upgraded" their dial-in (POTS) kit last night at 4am without notifying customers.

The result is that the dial-up access nodes do not now respond with "UTV Internet"..."Login:", so chat script access is fatally broken.

Experiments with manual terminal connections show no text prompts at all, but a reconfigured chat script (ie no "expect send" pairs beyond CONNECT '') fails to establish ppp and there si no discernable PAP or CHAP challenge from the remote host.

Has anyone a workaround for this? What ppp option is it that forces your local dial-up client to initiate PAP or CHAP if the remote server won't do so?

///Peter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

I had this problem years ago with an ISP.
    I just edited the script to look for the new connect strings.
    Like instead of User:, look for UTV Internet: or what ever it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭frisket

Originally posted by bricks
    I had this problem years ago with an ISP.
    I just edited the script to look for the new connect strings.
    Like instead of User:, look for UTV Internet: or what ever it was.

No, no, no...read what I wrote:

>>...the dial-up access nodes do not now respond with "UTV Internet"..."Login:"

The whole point is that *now* there *AREN'T* any prompt strings: when you connect, there's nothing at all!

Normally this is no problem: the ISP's ppp server issues a challenge and your client responds. But the servers *aren't* issuing any challenge, and I can't find the option which makes *my* pppd start the process.

///Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

I've got the same problem, I'm using wvdial as my dialer and have been for years since early early versions of it. it sits at the CONNECT prompt for about 8 seconds and disconnects.

i also tried using hyperterm and as you describe there is no text prompts from the dial-in servers. This is quite odd as windows actually has no trouble with it.

When i setup ppp to dial in itself, it works fine. i dont know why.

But im sure they will fix this tommorrow, as they have been notified of it.

Cheers to Adam for pointing me here ;)

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭frisket

Originally posted by flamegrill
    When i setup ppp to dial in itself, it works fine. i dont know why.

Can you post your /etc/ppp/options file
    and your chat script? What have you got in there that triggers authentication?

///Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by frisket
    According to UTVip's helpdesk, their network engineers "upgraded" their dial-in (POTS) kit last night at 4am without notifying customers.

Oh but they did. On utv.support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

They did announce it, and they have fixed it.

new prompts are there now and there shouldnt be any probs connecting. I spoke to Martin myself this evening and he said they will be tweaking it over the next few days.

Regards,

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by flamegrill
    I spoke to Martin myself this evening and he said they will be tweaking it over the next few days.

Great, i'm not sure if i'm imagining it, but I think my connection has gotten slower since the upgrade!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Originally posted by eth0_
    Great, i'm not sure if i'm imagining it, but I think my connection has gotten slower since the upgrade!
    Yup,same here, can't connect above 33600 while running Mandrake9

Advertisement