Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Activism?

Options
  • 28-11-2002 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭

Was there a need to move IOFFL to here? It's a bit annoying when you have to re-direct everyone you know to here?
    Oh well lets see what happens.

OHP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

just tell them to go to http://www.boards.ie/irelandoffline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

I know that mate but why? What was the reason behind doing this? Why try to fix things when their not borken?

OHP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's a bit annoying when you have to re-direct everyone you know to here?

What's to redirect? All links to the forum, threads and posts are still the exact same. As to the reasoning, see here:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=70962

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Now who is going to argue with a Mod?

OHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

OHP,

Quote:- " Now who is going to argue with a Mod? "

Answer:- Me, me, me, yes please? anytime!. Ho, Ho, Heh,

All the best.

Paddy20

;) Have no fear, Paddys here?...

• Advertisement

Now who is going to argue with a Mod?

I ain't the mod here OHP, and I don't make the decisions, I just suggested the Activism section. If you have a complaint, have a chat with the mods of /this/ forum, Dustaz and sceptre.

Cheers,
    adam

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭topgold

I don't think it matters where the core group reads. The community URL redirects here anyway. I think it's more important to make this entire forum easy to syndicate and that means making it conform to some kind of RSS feed. You'll start getting a whole lot more mainstream news coverage the moment the forum becomes syndication-friendly.

Within 12 hours of me posting IrelandOffline winning the 2002 Net Visionary award on my blog , four different news aggregators scraped the content.

I think it's more important to make this entire forum easy to syndicate and that means making it conform to some kind of RSS feed. You'll start getting a whole lot more mainstream news coverage the moment the forum becomes syndication-friendly.

With respect Bernie, how long have you been reading this forum? Have you seen some of the posts here? Sure, there's a hell of a lot of very clued-in and intelligent commentary, but you couldn't possibly syndicate the threads without doing a horrendous amount of damage to the image of the organisation. That's not withstanding the fact that this isn't an IrelandOffline resource, it's a member resource, specifically held at arms length from the core organisation precisely because of the risk of damage. And rightly so.

All that being said, an RSS feed of irelandoffline.org, already exists, and has existed since the site was migrated to Geeklog. The URL for feed junkies is:

http://www.irelandoffline.org/home/backend/geeklog.rdf

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭topgold

I didn't know about the http://www.irelandoffline.org/home/backend/geeklog.rdf
    feed and NewzCrawler didn't dynamically acquire it when I visited during the run-up to the IIA Net Visionary Awards. Got it. Installed it. Refreshed it. Now it's aggregating. I will promote that link with those asking me for real-time issue syndication.

You guys are right -- the backchat in the boards.ie forum threads don't need to make it into the top tray of news reporters. The backend geeklog summations do just fine.

I'm carrying occasional thread summaries at Topgold and those are being scooped by The Guardian and BBC Technology at the moment. Who knows where that will lead?

Bernie
    Wireless Information Network Kilkenny

Advertisement