Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assembly Suicide... !!!

Options
  • 28-11-2002 2:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

I'm in dire straits. Could anyone please point me toward a FAST and usable site/book that i can read in the next couple of days and be capable of getting a assemble assignment done...

its MC68332 instruction set. Just the basic move, add, sub, shift and rotate and others...

I'm such a waster when it comes to time management... LAstminuteme.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Also, you could consider developing on an emulator. As long as it's nothing platform specific that you're doing you could use an Atari ST or Amiga emulator in conjunction with the DevPac assembler. The ST and Amiga are MC68000 machines.

As for programming references I'm at a bit of a loss there but the commands you give as examples are quite processor-generic and there are equivalent commands on, for example, the Intel x86 family so don't get in a tizzy about MC68332-specific texts.

If you need a hand, just post and we'll help where we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭str8_away

One little tip about programming in assembly language:
    Think small steps very small steps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Most microcontrollers/microprocessors have a readily available Architecture and Instruction Set guide.

Also if you get a simple sample program, it will allow you to gloss over a lot of the directives that make up the setup/initialisation sections of the code.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Michael Manzke would not be happy if he saw this.
    Think about your assembly in terms of Substructions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If I were doing it I'd want to understand and write from scratch but ...

When you're stuck fro time (and lazy) modifying working code is often a good place to get started.

Anything complicated would make it an uber-bad idea tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Probably a tad late, but I only seem to come to this board when I am stuck myself.

Anyway, I have used several books on assembly language, here's two that spring to mind: Assembly language Step-by-step, by Jeff Duntemann is a great book.There's not too many books on this subject matter than can make you chuckle, this one does. It is for x86 assembly, but he expains the concepts extremely well.

Introduction to microprocessors, Third edition, by Aditya P Marthur is another good book. You certainly won't be chuckling, but it has a whole chapter devoted to the 68000 (among other chips).

PM me if you are stuck.

TD.

Advertisement