Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End of Game BOSSES

Options
  • 28-11-2002 4:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭

Something Shinji said on the American McGee thread sparked my head mulling over this issue...

It seems as though they just don't make end of game bosses like they used to.

FPSs tend to have very dribbly ends, deus ex (where the "game" finished about 30 minutes before the story :/) and RtCW (The phrase "Big lollopping eejit who couldn't hurt me even if i helped him out" comes to mind) being two bad-boss games off the top of my head.

Final Fantasy games seem to be all about killing everyone as they come to gain experience, wading through simple bosses until the End of Game BOSS, who's MUCH harder than the rest, and is quite often defeated by uncunning use of luck :)

Maybe i'm just not playing the right games... Are there any current games out there that have truly unique last bosses? What's YOUR favourite boss from a game?

Gimme Bowser, or chain-gun robo-Hitler any day ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,376 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I put up the same post ages ago and shinji just ripped the piss.
    I have to say that FPS bosses have always been absolutely dire. They are either far too hard (uber soldat) or are ridicously vulnerable to circle strafing. In fact i've never played a FPS with a decent boss. It really wouldn't take much effort to do one.
    This looks set to change however with Metroid Prime. The bosses in this game look fantastic and seem like they will have a 'konami' feel to them.
    As for other games only Konami and Capcom seem to be making efforts to make decent bosses. Resident evil, Onimusha, and Devil May Cry have great bosses. Also the Metal Gear series has some very memorable bosses. Try Contra Shattered for some old school boss busting when it comes out soon.

As for favourite bosses try these games:
    Konami: Axelay, Contra series, Rocket Knight Adventures.
    Thunderforce 4
    Devil May Cry
    Any Treasure game especially Gunstar Heroes and Alien Soldier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Shagus

Latest good boss imho was a lad in ONI.. fella with the laser gun that shot out a sorta laser ribbon .. he was near halfway through ONI.. the end boss in ONI was a hoot too ;) him + his minions

But alltime favourites are basically all of the ones from wolfinstein :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,376 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Never liked the ones from wolfenstein. They were funny especially hitler and the first boss with double chainguns. FPS bosses just don't live up to the bosses of the platform and shmup genres. Gonarch is probably the best of a very bad bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Zelda 64 has the best end of game boss and end of game/level/fight/match with boss.
    So varied in what you had to do and not impossible actually quite easy when you thought about it but doing it whilst under pressure.

Like all it was bat fireball back at him when he paused hit him with flame arrow then jump across falling platforms stab him a few times then jump back before he came to.

easy :)

Then the outside match with him in whcih you had to use the grapple to whack his tail off.

Aww sweet :)

And even the others in the game.
    The Amazonians ,the water thingy even the piddly spider were all excellent end of level bosses.

kdjaC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I'm loving the bosses in Rez at the moment. If you get 98% shotdown (i.e. link everything and don't miss much) he does completely different attacks, is much harder to kill and dies in a more spectacular fasion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Doom II end of game thing (the big face in the wall that spat monsters out at you) kinda freaked me out the first time I got to it
    but I was really pssed off at the end of game baddy for Quake 2 (which I just dug out recently for a blast), so bloody easy when u use the 'strafe in a circle' and quad damage power up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 gibreal

end of level baddies on R-type...brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

The end of the game boss in doom1 (cyber deamon) scared the cack outta me 1st time i met him, still one of the coolest boss's IMO :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I liked the bosses in Half-life especially the Tentical one.

Kabuto in Giants was pretty cool aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

End of Level Bosses in Xenon I were cool and Xenon II to a lesser extent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

the giant baby in half life was good. cant remember the one from opforce though.

Sephorith in ff7 was good as was ultimecia in ff8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Ocarina of Time's end boss seemed like a terrible anti-climax to me, I'm afraid... just arrow, strafe, smack-tail-with-sword, repeat... and all easy as poo. Ganon 'phnff!' noise in the fireball tennis bit was eerily aluring, though.

Donkey Kong 64's end boss was great, I thought. Didn't make up for the rest of the game, unfortunately...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Originally posted by DiscoStu
    the giant baby in half life was good. cant remember the one from opforce though.

Oh come on, those bosses were complete bollocks. There is no possible way you could have enjoyed either of them. YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY LYING THROUGH YOUR TEETH!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Turrican on ther C64 had some great bosses for the time.

Anyone remember the huge guy in Turrican 2 that took up 2 screens ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

The Metal Slug bosses are cool. Along with various old school shooter bosses. (Armed Police Batrider, Blazing Star, Axelay etc etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

yeah and driveing sims never have end of level bosses!

Well perhaps Chase HQ!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

i found the end of level bosses in the megamanX series proved difficult..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

i found the end of level bosses in the megamanX series proved difficult

i found the entire megaman series difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by gibreal
    end of level baddies on R-type...brilliant.
    I fúcking hated R-type never got past the third bastarding level even on easy with max continues. And not for want of trying either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Mother Brain from Super Metroid. Especially when you thought you were fúcked when she does the eye laser thing, Only to be saved by Mr Metroid and the most super duper gun ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

aye, that bit's excellent, everythings really rainbow flashy, like the seizure bots:

http://www.seizurebots.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Anyone remember beating Beach Head I and Forbidden Forrest on the C64 ? Cool end of Game bosses.

Please no R-type bashing. It's on of the all time greats. If you can't get past the 3rd level then you have been softened by years of quicksaving. I feel sorry for you. If you can beat it you are a gaming god. I never beat the last boss.

2d shooters always had and will have the best bosses

Whats your favourite boss death.

1. Axelay level 2 boss explosion.
    2. The surprise after the boss that you knock into the lava and melt in metroid 3.
    3. Axelay fire level boss.
    4. killing sniper wolf in MGS
    5. The cyberdemons bloody stumps. **** boss though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

I thought the bosses in Chamionship manager were hard.

no, i remember Zombies ate my neighbours rattling my head when trying to deal with the giant baby..
    twas brill..

I remember the bosses when i was younger being hard, likes of New-Zeaand story and Rainbow Islands, or my Fav, Bart Vs the Space mutants.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I liked the bosses from c64 days, where you trudge through a level only to fight a bg mutha who wud slowmo onto the screen.

Memorable ones being Midnight Resistance and Golden Axe(i know)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Tails

I always found end of game bosses silly.
    For instance if the bad guy is a leader, as in mgs, they automatically can take 5 times the punishment, for no apparent reason. If games were anything to go by does that mean generals in the army are godlike creatures?

But if i had to pick an end of game boss it probably the guy at the end of Half-Life(how over used is that game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

What do ye think of the final boss in Baldur's Gate? Classic but again was a little too easy... once you came prepared... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

I think this thread came up before, and I said Dr.Wiley from Megaman, but I thought it was a great twist in Metal Gear for the NES how your boss was the bad guy all along. Also Mike Tyson in Punchout... I never managed to beat him :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

how hasnt anyone mentioned max payne yet? that had to be the smartest ending to a game ive played yet. not the best, but the smartest. ah well im off to play it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

ah ive been playiong serious sam 2 with my 4 year old, OH how he loves that game but i played the windy boss today i thought he was great. HE STARTS OFF BIG AND GETS BIGGER. And when he uses wind power the rockets get blown away from him nice touch!

Advertisement