Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working at Christmas?

• 28-11-2002 5:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else out there going to be suffering the nastiness of working at Christmas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

nope, am of from 18th of december until the 2nd of january :)

but ive worked those ****ty days many times before and have worked christmas day and newyears eve in the same year. now thats nasty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Worked Christmas Day two years in a row, and then Stephen's Night last year. It's looking like I'm free this year - thankfully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If you are a part-time employee, can your employer 'force' you to work on Christmas day? Especially for a poxy double time rate of pay.

Where I work, they expect people to be that "flexible" ffs.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

yuk!
    I'd hate to work Christmas, am off from the 23rd to the 2nd of Jan! I shall be doing nothing 'cept eating, drinking and lazing about *sigh*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by Stephen
    If you are a part-time employee, can your employer 'force' you to work on Christmas day? Especially for a poxy double time rate of pay.

Where I work, they expect people to be that "flexible" ffs.
    Working at Christmas seems to be a bit overly flexible for a part-time employee. If it's not in your contract that you have to work bank holidays then I don't think they can force you to.

Working Bank Holidays and Christmas was always in my job description so I can't really have too much complaint. Luckily I'm in the civil service (albeit one of the less beaten tracks) so the overtime compensations are pretty spectacular.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

I'm a student and will probably suffer the indignity of having to work over xmas. It'll make a change though, but I DO want the important days off (xmas day, stephens day, new years eve and day).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by DapperGent
    Is anyone else out there going to be suffering the nastiness of working at Christmas?

Well I THOUGHT I was only going to get Xmas day off....but as I get the train to work from 35k away...i mentioned it to my boss and he just said ah it's grand, you can take Stephens day off too! He doesn't even mind people being late because of the train either. Best boss...ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

There's a catch, gotta be a catch somewhere...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Well....he's American, and he looks a little like Chris Cornell if you can call that a catch...

But there doesn't seem to be a catch, if I can't get in, I can't get in. Best boss....ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I feel your pain. I will be working up until the 23rd and back in again on the 26th. It sucks but at least I'll have more cash at the end of Christmas than I did at the start. Except I won't because I'll probably spend it all on beer around New Years. It's not so bad though, think of all the lovely things you'll be able to buy when all your mates are already broke and really hungover. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

17-06 Was asked to work, lol.

Just got my definate working times.

25, 26, 27, 29, 30.

The new guy always gets it in the ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

Ho ho ho. As they say as this time of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    You should discuss it here if you feel the need. They can offer you all sorts of good advice to help you in your time of need.

now young man, you have been complained against.

however, i think its funny, so i think it should stay and remind everyone that there is still humour in the world, and that people are allowed to laugh at gay people.
    i dont discriminate, i laugh at everyone :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Im taking from 13 december off, till the 18th of January.

/me sits back and watches the grant roll in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,464 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Stephen
    Effectively yes, unless it is specificly **not** in your contract. However, insist that you get some perks - food and transport laid on as a minimum.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Im on call for 3 days over xmas.. and get triple pay for each day that Im on call.. so if I get called in I get triple pay and a day off..

Happy days.. :D:D:D:p:p:p

Advertisement