Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

playtesters needed...

Options
  • 10-08-1999 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

Right, as the lads in the CyberX will no doubt confirm, I am mediocre at SC. I do however, enjoy tinkering with the map editor. The 2V2 league got me thinking and I've done up a few maps. I would really appreciate if peeps could playtest them and tell me what needs changing.

I will post them onto a website (writing the html as we speak) as first drafts, but until they actuallly hit the web, how about some feedback on what makes a good 2V2 map?

I'm going with the both players from each team start together or at least near each other, at a set start point.

Start: 7 mineral deposits (usually) and one vespene gas.

Three expansions avialable to each team, (as in closer to each team) and a few bits and pieces dropped about the place (clumps of two minerals, maybe vespene).

Also, No Triggers.

Any thoughts or preferences for how a maps is set up and/or started?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Oh yeah, favourite terrains as well.

So far:

Space platfrom (2 maps)
    Badlands (2 maps)
    lavaland (2 maps)

And I forgot, the preferred map size.

So far:

128X196
    128X128
    and 196X 78(?) - well, a long thin one (phnar phnar)

I'll post the website addy when it goes up.

Jason

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Where can I get them from ? Giz a look and I'll give you my thoughts.

Damn alcohol... I would have had the page up and ready to go except for the lure of beer..

hopefully tonight. I'll post the addy.

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

well put em up ill take them look at em play them over me lan if i ever get it working and this weekend when me m8s come around well use em for big moshes hehe now where can i fix the problom for my lan aaa theres me hammer maby ????

http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendell/hero/236/

tadaaaa! (I was a bit bored in work...)

There are two maps up. both are zip files and, as yet there is no link page, so don't even try goin' there tongue.gif

• Advertisement

Ok, I've dloaded them, So far they look good. Im gonna give them a few goes and tell you what I think.

Well done matey. These could be used for this league. btw. Nice page. And Yes : your only welcome to help out in this league.

Loloth dude,

Those maps are pretty good, well the one with the big river is class.

Except- Did you actually try and play it ? Cos like if you did you'll notice that where you start, there IS no room to build anything!

Here, best thing for this is to meet on irc and have a chat ?

hmmm, good point. Buildings have to spread out too much to be defended. Maybe I'll resize it so it's not so narrow. Room to build = no cover, cover = sprawling bases to seperate to be defended.

IRC, sure, name time and place (after 9 best for me).

J.

OK, I think I've solved the progress.scm problem. try it now and see what you think.

Also, a site change:

http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendell/krondor/486/

the old one is reverting to it's Roleplaying glory... maybe.

[This message has been edited by LoLth (edited 17-08-99).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Kiigan

I will check em out .. I have noticed that many of the DIY maps out there for Starcraft are really badly designed for Zerg i.e. mineral layout allows no room to build. Hope your maps aren't like that smile.gif

• Advertisement

emmmmmm... smile.gif

it's tough to choose between a sprawling area for building and a nice defendable bit.

Sprawling areas tend to overlap so bases can be too close for comfort (a map in the works, getting converted to 2v2 settings) with no 'buffer' between forces.

Defensive bases encourage turtling.

Hopefully I've come up with a happy mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭-=Raven=-

We all know the best map. Big game hunters.......big game hunters twilight , big game hunters snow , big game hunters..ect smile.gif

Its a classy map.
    2v2 is quick , a mad laff and needs quick action to gain control. The ultimate enjoyment.....in starCraft anyway =)

Advertisement