Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of dual boot menu

• 28-11-2002 1:31pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads

Move this if in the wrong thread

I had setup dual boot, 2 ops , 1 on each HDD.
    I want to get rid of the 2nd option off the boot menu, is it a case of creating a new MBR by any chance.

Don't want to fk up the system.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

If it's the WinNT/XP boot menu the easiest and safest way is to first set your default OS and then set the screen time out to 0. You can from XP emergency disk run the command, I think :p, fixmbr.exe and that will rewrite your mbr and set you back to a "normal" NT boot.

Dizz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

You realise of course if you remove the second option from the menu that the second hard disk will effectively be useless?

I'm assuming you want to format it?

In any case for Windows NT variants you will have to edit C:\boot.inf

If you are using Windows 9x you should boot from a boot disk and then type fdisk /mbr.

If you are using Linux.

Edit /etc/lilo.conf and re-run lilo.

If you are using Linux and the grub then edit /boot/grub/grub.lst

If you are using FreeBSD, the bootloader should 'just work' automagically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Just edit the boot.ini in the root dir of your primary OS partition. Remove the offending line and reduce the wait time.

The things to change/remove in boot.ini are obvious.

If you need to rewrite the MBR:

fixmbr.exe is on the 2k CD too.

You can use it through the recovery console on the CD. (The only annoying thing is waiting for the 2k CD to boot to that stage)

As for lilo and grub, Typedef is on the button.

I doubt tho, that someone would be removing a second OS, keeping Linux and would not know how to use lilo or grub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks Lads

Much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Dont mess with the boot.ini file if you`re not sure what you`re at,

Control Panel, System, Startup+recovery and you can edit some boot settings there(win2k and XP)

Make a backup copy of boot.ini if you do mess with it(boot.ini.bak)

Advertisement