Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Spatial Strategy.

Options
  • 28-11-2002 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Key areas hve been announced and it seems that there are to be jobs created in areas outside of the Pail.

Both a 160 page and 2 page document explaining the impacts and advantages to areas chosen to be included here.

One of the positives, on a purely personal basis, is that the house I bought a couple of weeks ago is set to increase in value by circa €20,000 in the next few weeks.

Having read most of the larger document, it seems like alot of time and taxpayers money has been spent to decide that Dublin is too crowded and the infrastructure in more Rural parts of Ireland should be improved in order that business can re-locate there succesfully.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

As a Dub, I always feel uneasy when people start talking about relocating work outside of Dublin. Perhaps that is because having come from the North Inner City, I can remember the bad old days when tens of houses in my area were dirlect and falling to bits.

Typically houses like this were where a large portion of the city's heroin addicts used to congregate. For the most part the direlct houses have given way to plush new developments, at a staggaring rate. Still in the back of my mind I remeber being five years old back in 1985 and literally it was the case the ten houses down from my house were in ruins. North Great George's street was the same, Mountjoy Square, the list goes on.

Don't get me wrong, I accept the need to support regions outside of Dublin, but to me as a North Side inner city kid, my home turf seems to have been ritually neglected for years and years and to a large extent, it still is neglected.

The roads are in tatters, when things like the old 19th centry lights break, flimsy replacements are put in their stead, it all contrasts very significantly with most of the areas outside of the city centre, so again, I support the notion of spreading the wealth, but I don't think Dublin should be viewed as an amorphous entity, rather an area of districts, one of which, 'the North Inner City' still needs lots of attention, moreso then most in this State.

Typedef.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

It's a complete fudge. Too many towns are named,- its late late show politics ie something for everybody in the audience.
    The Buchanan report 30 years ago was shelved because of parochial politics ie Wexford and Carlow politiians up in arms because their towns were not designated as a centre for growth, while for example waterford was..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by jd
    It's a complete fudge. Too many towns are named,- its late late show politics ie something for everybody in the audience.
    The Buchanan report 30 years ago was shelved because of parochial politics ie Wexford and Carlow politiians up in arms because their towns were not designated as a centre for growth, while for example waterford was..

Waterford (cue clarion trumpet fugue) is a gateway ta-darrr!!

But so what?, we still have'nt got a second-river crossing, still have'nt got a universty. The airport is always overlooked for investment. If you want quality cancer treatment you have to take weeks off work so you can make daily trips to Dublin. Will any of the above be addressed through this mechanism?

Hold my breath, I will not.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭bertiebowl

The spatial strategy is like our government - A JOKE -

Its back to business as usual - development will be so scattered all over the shop that Dublin will continue to exert critical mass and end up with the lions' share of whatever comes in.

So don't count yer €20,000 Thanx 4 the fish before the investment is hatched.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Originally posted by bertiebowl
    The spatial strategy is like our government - A JOKE -

Its back to business as usual - development will be so scattered all over the shop that Dublin will continue to exert critical mass and end up with the lions' share of whatever comes in.

So don't count yer €20,000 Thanx 4 the fish before the investment is hatched.

I think that the National spacal Stratergy is a good idea. When you look at the crazy development of Dublin, the development of dormer towns and the development of areas of Dublin not served by schools or pubs - something needs to be done.

I personally would have picked towns served by rail. We need a rail link bewteen Limerick & Sligo. Dublin has got too big. It is preetty badly planned and phyically it cannot cope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Cork
    I think that the National spacal Stratergy is a good idea.
    Nobody thinks a spacial strategy is a bad idea..its just spread out too much!

Advertisement