Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

expose my naive logic for getting ADSL on my local exchange??

Options
  • 28-11-2002 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

maybe this has been raised before, but let's try again.

* ADSL not on my local exchange in sligo and probably not a snowballs chance in hell...

however

* if i did some free marketing for Eircom/ESAT (extolling the virtues, uses and benefits of always on) for friends and neighbours, who also use said same exchange.

* through this cunning persuasion, i manage to get 24 callers to register their interest with E/E for a connection.

Now crush my naivety if you will. the fact that i now have a full quota of possible users registered in the one exchange for ADSL, does this improve the chance of delivery in any way???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

yes you are naive!

Its a different business model in this country

Other developed countries:
    make a profit by meeting market demands for goods & services by producing and selling these at a competitive price

Ireland:
    make an obscene amount of profit by greasing the palm of some warrior of destiny who gratefully facilitates you in stitching up some market and giving you a license to gouge the consumer

so were are not talking about a normal market here, eircom could not give a Donald Duck whether theres enough demand for 20 dsl exchanges were you live

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

No, you're not that naive.

Your only chance lies with Esat. They have said before that they would be launching a web-site to register interest at. No word of it yet.

If you go and get people to sign some sort of petition and give it to Esat, I feel that they would take it seriously and feed it into their calculations of exchanges to enable.

It may not produce an instant result, but it might push it ahead a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

This approach is the one taken in england to get BT to upgrade rural exchanges that pass a certain threshold of interested users. ( http://www.adsl4antrim.co.uk/ for example).

I somehow doubt that our beloved incumbant telco would be this forward thinking however.

Advertisement