Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is the wrost british indie band?

Options
  • 28-11-2002 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭

i just watched a video from Starsailor on MTV and i have come to the rather robust conclusion that they are the worst UK indie band of all time, a rather lofty achievment because there are SO many (OASIS leading the the charge of mediocrity), in my humble opinion.

Who's yours?

66e

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Morn

Absolutely - starsailor are definitely one of the worst. Every time I hear them they get more and more irritating. They started out as merely dull and have got worse since then...

Another band that have been thankfully quieter recently but are as bad as Starsailor are Embrace. Saw them at Witness and man... it just plain sucked... If they weren't so convinced of their own greatness they might be a little better but I doubt it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭rapture_queen

I also hate Starsailor and Embrace-the singer from embrace freaks me out for some reason.

Im quite sure i hate more but cant think of any right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭the66electric

Oh sweet moses Embrace are coming tearing in at the finish to steal Starsailors thunder.

other awfulness from the last decade include Gene and Cast (oh christ they were beyond awful).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭o sleep

i agree with all of your suggestions (oasis etc) but especially with the boy from 66 electric: cast were a blight upon my teenage years. one time they were playing in UCD freshers ball (or something like that) and i had concocted an elaborate plan to do something to the lead singer, like hurt him or kill him, but i ended up not going (ironically enough, because cast were playing). other contenders: the lightning seeds.
    (that should've read: another contender bcos i can't think of any more thought i'm sure are lots and lots).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 butterflywings

i hav2say i like oasis (i've got my whole life ahead of me, pleeeease put the firearms away.....)
    embrace do ahve to be one of the top...
    &that band sophie ellis bextor was in b4 she went solo, i can't remember, but seriously, u can imagine.

• Advertisement

I'm not going to argue the Oasis thing because each to their own but the words 'deathly dull and stunningly unimaginative' spring to mind when i think of messrs gallagher and the monobrow revolution...

Sleeper also were dreadful...

66e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 butterflywings

Originally posted by the66electric
    the words 'deathly dull and stunningly unimaginative' spring to mind when i think of messrs gallagher and the monobrow revolution...

ok, i concur, but still. good guitar....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Ah oasis!! Idiots!! Oh and Menswear!! Remember them??? Good hair crap music!:D

The Longpigs.

Oh Jesus! I just had total recall about - God its hard to even say the name...

...The Seahorses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

Originally posted by the66electric
    i just watched a video from Starsailor on MTV and i have come to the rather robust conclusion that they are the worst UK indie band of all time, a rather lofty achievment because there are SO many (OASIS leading the the charge of mediocrity), in my humble opinion.

Who's yours?

66e

You liked good souls or whatever their first single was, I remember you and the yid slagging me coz i didnt.....

The cranberries last few albums have been a painful blight on guitar music as for the rest usual **** ocean colour scene <mosley sholes was a present before you even think of saying it 66e!!!> , kula shaker , style council sucked ass , reef , and i know they are not a UK acts but i f.u.c.k.i.n.g. detest the hothouse flowers and the four of us

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Tom182

I actually thought Cast were OK............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭sodiumlightbaby

Reef, Cast, travis, Oasis, Ocean Colour Scene, Gomez, Embrace...****e all of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Amnesiac

TRAVIS! AAARRRGGGHHH! I ****ing hate them!!!!
    ****ing jangley guitar, meaningless lyrics and widespread credibility......AAARRRGGGHHH!
    Also, the Verve.....fool that i was to have bought the album....just when it came out mind you, i didn't have the benefit of hearing the turgid "lucky man". Jesus! A terribly dull album...and it was ****ing everywhere for a while back there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Cozpyro

Has anyone noticed that every Coldplay single goes:

JANG JANG JANG JANG
    JANG JANG JANG JANG
    JANG JANG JANG JANG
    JANG JANG JANG JANG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

i did notice that coz - i also noticed that every time he is being interviewsed he says everything is MEGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Saw sophie ellis(my mum was on blue peter) bextors, band the audience on some bizarre night with ADF and stereophonics at Sheffield Uni afew eons ago. They were awful yes.

Elbow supported Manics(leave em alone) in Manchester last year, they too were dreary sh1te.
    In fact most bands that support Manics tend to be pretty borin, good call lads, the like of Mogwai, Gorkys dyslexic mynci, and a few others my poor brain cant remember.

1st gig I ever went to was Pet SHop Boys in Birmingham NEC a long time ago, the support was a full orchestra similar to Hallé or whoever and god knows what they were playin but every time the music died ppl thought they were finished then all of a sudden theyd carry on playin, sorry to offend the Classic FM ppl btw. Eventually ppl were doin the mexican wave(while they were playin) ....most memorable.

Good Christ i forgot about the bluetones...

Oh and Shed 7. God awful...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

not in order of worst etc.

and i did used to like some of these bands in my younger days but here we go

oasis, starsailor, the music, travis, stereophonics, embrace
    and god reef were bad

but i liked 'i'm so lonely' by cast alot... no doubt if i listened to it now i'd reckon it was crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Deckchair

If you think Embrace are bad you should listen to the single 'My Weakness is none of you're business' one of the best songs ever written...not just indie.

Shed 7 were real bad as were The Farm, CandyFlip, Jesus Jones, EMF...

• Advertisement

personally i think that song is shíte

i despise that guys voice and i always will

That embrace song is possibly the one i hate most...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Ah i like Longpigs...... I still listen to that album occasionally. I like She Said and Lost Myself.... does this make me a bad person??? And Embrace are truly terrible.. im sorry but i could never get by that guys voice!! AWFUL!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

one word and name

JAMES ha.

EMbrace unfortunatly dire.

they probabaly date raped a record company i bet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ross_k

the66electric mentioned Shed 7, and I really have to concur on that one, they were really shi.t. They actually embody all that is bad about britpop. You know when you watch a band and you feel embarrased for them, that's how I fell watching or listening to Shed 7.

Other bands I can only remember by looking at bad compilation cds from that era worthy of a mention include: Cast, Monaco, Gene, Lighting Seeds (slightly pre-britpop but still crap nonetheless), My Life Story, White Town, Dodgy, Bennett, Sleeper, levellers, echobelly, marion, and the list goes on.

As far as Oasis go, I think they're a great band. Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't really assosciate them with the rest of the britpop scene, they were way above that, even back then.

Say what you like about Echobelly...they were cool!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ross_k

haha, about echobelly, I just edited the message and took them out by mistake, but I just put the cd on and straight back they go!

Does anyone remember Babylon Zoo? TOTP every week for the whole summer!

Was that that "SPACEMAN" tripe?????

No sleep at all,carry me home........

aaahhh classic echobelly!!!!!!!!

spaceman is the best song ever

along with, no limits, anything by the outhere brothers and rhythm is a dancer... of course

• Advertisement

eeehhhh NO IT'S NOT:mad: :mad: :mad:

Advertisement