Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL?? Be it Eircon or EsatBT. Help!

Options
  • 28-11-2002 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Where can I find out if my local exchange is €ircom or EastBT enabled or when it will be.

I live on Sion Hill Road, just off Grace Park Road. (Drumcondra, Dublin 9)

Not too sure where is my local exchange is either, if it's connected to Santry/Whitehall I might be in business for DSL. If its not I think I'm stuffed for the next 20 years by the time €ircon get their ar$e in gear.

I'd be greatful if someone could point me in the right direction to get this info.

Mork

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Phone Eircom on 1800 512 128 or 1800 503 303, give them your phone number and ask if your exchange is enabled, and whether it is available on your line.

Ditto for ESAT. The number here is 1800 924 924

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Mork

Thank-you for your help Rebel

I'll ring the RAT & EsatBt to see what they have to say.

Mork

Phoned the RAT and was informed that my line was ADSL enabled via the Whitehall exchange and passed the line test! :-) Woo! Woo!

Now to see if Mr EsatBT and his 60 yo-yo's a month deal is up for grabs in my area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Esat BT to launch €49.50 a month DSL service to domestic consumers before Christmas

for more

http://www.esatbt.com/esatcom/homepage/news_events/pr20022410-2.htm

(edit - No text changed, just fixed your link Stone (didn't work) - changed the link to the (no longer linked from Esat's press release page) direct link as well while I was at it - sceptre)

Cheers sceptre :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

As has been mentioned elsewhere its highly unlikely that we will see Esats low priced DSL this side of christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by Dustaz
    As has been mentioned elsewhere its highly unlikely that we will see Esats low priced DSL this side of christmas.

Mentioned Elsewhere? As an avid reader I missed that one - I thought they publically announced that it WOULD be available BEFORE Christmas.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Im summing up the general "believe it when i see it" attidude to all things Broadbandy :)

They publically announced that it was going to be available before christmas, but there hasnt been an official peep from them since on the subject.

If i had to wager on it, id guess it wont be offered until after christmas, but thats just me guessing.

Checked Esat's webbie, no DSL for me yet, my exchange is not on their list. :(

As Dustaz says "Its a wait and see" approach, in the meantime I reckon I will see how UTVip works out.

Mork

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

My exchange wasn't on the list either, but it was serviced by them, just that the lsit hadn't been updated. So you could ring just to be sure, to be sure!

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Is "broadbandy" a real word?

Given Dustaz's complete and utter hate of people who cant spell!! I think it's about number 5 in the list of things that really pi$$ Dustaz off!

....Number 6 being a smart ar$e!

:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by Dustaz

Low priced my arse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Here - already over the page due to the heavy traffic
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71455

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Mark McG

In case you didn't see my Esat story elsewhere on boards.ie, I would be very careful that our "friendly competent" chums in Esat BT don't screw up all the telecommunication services in your house. Better warn the neighbours too if you sign up with them...

Mark.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Hi, does anyone know if either Irish Broadband or Leap service or plan on servicing Dublin 9 in the near future.

I can get Eircom ADSL but I really don't want to be locked into a 12 month contract on such a terrible service when something better (Esat ADSL, IBB, Leap) might be just around the corner.

BTW Mork I live just around the corner from you in Charlemont.

BBTW Message to Esat / IBB / Leap you do know that there are lots of people living on the Northside of Dublin looking for Broadband also, specially close to business parks like East Point ;)

Cheers

Can't get thru to Esat their sales line is ALWAYS busy. I left my number but from my experience of working in a call centre, they won't call back cos they can't (too many incomming calls) and forget email, that doesn't happen cos the same people are too busy answering the phone so the email backlog must be about 2-3 weeks long!

Friggin Esat.

Mork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I'd just like to say that not a week goes by without someone ringing my home offering me broadband this, and flat rate that,

not complaining, just commenting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 honk

Originally posted by Mork
    Can't get thru to Esat their sales line is ALWAYS busy. I left my number but from my experience of working in a call centre, they won't call back cos they can't (too many incomming calls) and forget email, that doesn't happen cos the same people are too busy answering the phone so the email backlog must be about 2-3 weeks long!

Friggin Esat.

Mork

If they wanted your business they would have put enough people in place to answer the phone.

Anyway the norm for processing consumer DSL signups globally is web based with a self install DSL modem which you either pick up in a convenient gadget store or is mailed to you. Plug the box into your RJ11 or RJ45, insert the CD and the job's done within a few mins.

Unfortunately in Ireland everything to do with comms - telecommunications, motorways, ringroads, signposting, railways, trams, metros, buses, airports, airlines, digital television is run by Homer Simpson. Get used to it, move, or vote for change at the next election.

honk

Advertisement