Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parent Teacher Meetings

Options
  • 28-11-2002 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭

What is the point of parent teacher meetings? I mean I'm never told anything new and I have to take two half days from wok for them, why? Someone enlighten me plzz.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

We have our fist one tomorrow, hopefully it will be only 15 mins as advertised.
    Our son is 4 and i can guess what will be said his Colouring in is not up to scratch. He's 4 and colouring in is going to be barin daed to a kid that plays the pc or play station. Why coclour when you can play spyro ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by Offy
    What is the point of parent teacher meetings? I mean I'm never told anything new and I have to take two half days from wok for them, why? Someone enlighten me plzz.

I'm guessing it's for parents who are not paying as much attention as yourself when it comes to their kids. Lets be honest, there are a lot of people out there who don't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

I still dont see the point, I'm tired of giving out to teachers, they'll never change! Seriously they do have a har job I just think that the parent teacher meeting thing could be done outside working hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Originally posted by Offy
    I still dont see the point, I'm tired of giving out to teachers, they'll never change! Seriously they do have a har job I just think that the parent teacher meeting thing could be done outside working hours.

Many schools do hold the meetings out of hours.

But more to the point
    I'm tired of giving out to teachers, they'll never change!
    Tell us more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Here's an opinion from a students point of view.

I always want my parent(s) to attend these meetings because the teachers tend to say stuff to the parents that they wouldn't nesseccarily say to the student. And I can always find out what they say from the parent afterwards.

I'm just always curious of what there opinion of me really is, as opposed to what they tell me in person! :)

• Advertisement

Well it's simply really Occidental, I remember been in school one day many, many years ago. It was a cold wet day, I was leaning anainst a rad. to warm up. Big mistake in those days. You guessed it, I got my head slapped of a wall for it. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth for teachers. This was not a once of either. God bless the church and all who subscribe to that line of tought.
    Anyway on to my point, a teachers job is to teach not to punish children when their been bold, thats a parents job so leave it to us. This is where my issues come in, who decides what been bold is? Last week my son got 100 lines for playing in line. Is playing in line at break time been bold or beening a child?
    Just over a year ago my ex-wife decided she wanted to be an ex-mother so she evicted our three children. This forced them to grow up to fast. I beleave that children should remain children as long as possible which means play, play, play.
    I refused to allow my son to do these lines and sent a stern note to his teacher. This dident go down well, surprise, surprise. So what do you do? Stand up for your children and risk reprisals or say nothing and hope that thing sort themselfs out???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Offy,

I had the joys of the Christian Brothers throughout primary and secondary in all their glory, complete with leathers, canes and all in wrestling. I'll never forget nor forgive the swines(one teacher in particular) but am trying to judge the current crop on their actions rather than my memories.

So far my experiences have been good and I know parents who have discovered learning difficulties, hearing difficulties and bullying problems through these meetings. As Oeneus said, it's also a good way for you to find out exactly what they think of your children and maybe a good time to compare views on school rules and discipline.

Just like history it is better to judge a person by their actions than their words.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I suppose the point and use of these meeting depend on the school. My daughters school is run by the parents. They have overall controll over things like budget and, to a certain extent, how the school is run in general. It works really well.

Advertisement