Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DSL - East BT

• 28-11-2002 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any viewpoints on Esat's DSL broad band I am considering it, it is €90 per month plus €126 installation costs. If this is in the wrong place, please can you move it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Loads (and I mean LOADS) of stuff about this on the IrelandOffline (plug plug) forum or Nets/Comms forum. Well worth having a read there first.

Esat have said they'll offer a 256k service for €49.50 (ex VAT) before Christmas - also discussed in both places. Still overpriced but at least it's a cheaper option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

We have been using Esat's DSL in work since it started.

A minor hiccup at start but fine since.

Use a dedicated PC as a Firewall or hackers will trash you.

We are hosting our own Web and Email 24/24 via secured reverse proxies on the Firewall. Working fine.
    We will cancel ISP domain web and email hosting soon and save almost €1,500 a year.

Plus we can make the Website interactive now with database.

Wingate for Firewall
    MDaemon for email
    IIS 4.0 + SQL 7.0 for Web site.

But to make it secure you REALLY need to know what you doing.

The Wingate has NAT and Remote Log bowser turned of for better security. If also "shares" the Internet to all the PCs.

The PC running Wingate has two Network Cards, one to ADSL box and one to network. All the NT "Wins Client" bindings disabled in Network Bindings in TCP properties in Control Panel / Network.

The Firewall needs to be on Linux, NT4.0 or Windows XP with most of the services (or Linux deamons) turned off!

IIS needs one patch and a LOT of configuration changes to make it hacker proof. The IIS logs and Firewall logs show about two attemps a day to hack the Web server.

We get on average one attempt a day at mail relaying. A huge number at the start, obvioulsy the word gets arround about new SMTP servers and closed relaying. You configure the Firewall and the Mail server (to be sure, both) to block relay attempts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Loads (and I mean LOADS) of stuff about this on the IrelandOffline (plug plug) forum

Whore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

Thanks Watty for all the advice, however I wouldn't know what I would be doing, so I shall just purchase a firewall.

Thanks re: irelandoffline, good plug, lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Originally posted by McGinty
    Thanks Watty for all the advice, however I wouldn't know what I would be doing, so I shall just purchase a firewall.

Thanks re: irelandoffline, good plug, lol

You need a security expert to set ANY firewall up. "Out of the box" they don't protect you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement