Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Laptop with no OS?

• 29-11-2002 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

I'm thinking of buying a laptop just to run linux. I was wondering if there is anyplace or any website you can get them with no OS installed??? I have linux CD's myself and i can do the install. also with laptops what are the hardware requirements for linux??

Any help would be great.
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

have to come with an OS..
    if its any major OEM i know..

sure like
    easy job wiping them down?

1 command format c: /q
    off a dos boot disk

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I think he wants to get it without OS so that he dosen't have to pay extra for it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I think that if a oem has a deal with ms they get charged extra if they don't bundle a ms OS. Thats why they won't selll you one without it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    I think that if a oem has a deal with ms they get charged extra if they don't bundle a ms OS. Thats why they won't selll you one without it

Certainly used be that way. Or rather a deal like (figures made up): "hey, we'll charge you 90 bucks per machine if you want to pick and choose which you want it on OR we'll charge you ten bucks per machine if you just pay to install it on all of them"

I've a feeling this may have disappeared in the US recently (certainly sounds like unfair business practices to me)

Some of the major manufacturers do sell laptops with Linux preinstalled. Dell or IBM, can't remember which. Don't know if they do it in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Dell will sell laptops without an OS installed. BUT only if you are a business customer. It is only available on their lattitude range. And you will save about €15.

(edit - and the lattitudes are more expensive than the inspirons)

You will also have to put up with a load of sales people saying "we have to put an MS operating system on it". I think (if I remember correctly) they are called the N series (that could have just been the optiplex desktops though)

Hope this helps...

• Advertisement
Advertisement