Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opeth play Whelans.. (March)

Options
  • 29-11-2002 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭

for all those who like their Scandanavian death/black/diseased/plague metal..

rumour has it that Opeth play Whelans on 19/03/03

haven't verified this anywhere.. but ehh enjoy anyway :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Thanks Kali, but Opeth would sit somewhere between Death Metal, and 70's Prog Rock. ;)

I shall most certainly be attending this gig, as I saw them last year with Katatonia, and they really blew me away. I also hear that this is going to be a mostly acoustic set, but that's just a rumour also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

I have soiled myself in anticipation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I shall most certainly be attending this gig, as I saw them last year with Katatonia, and they really blew me away. I also hear that this is going to be a mostly acoustic set, but that's just a rumour also.

Worth going to then?
    I've heard several things about them but I've no idea of any of their stuff (hence the generalisation) but if its an acoustic set id probably head along.. the singer(s) vocals actually audible? (as in not throaty roary stuff which i cant stand)
    Any particular track reccomendations?

Don't worry about the generalization, tbh.
    They're an extremely hard band to pin down.
    Even my discription is a rather lazy one.
    Might give you an idea to what they sound like.

Try the song 'Harvest'.

The singer, and lead guitarist, Mikael, has a fantastic, velvety smooth vocal.
    But he alternates between this style and the more traditional death metal vocal.

They're quite an original band, and one thing I find quite amazing about them is how they seemlessly blend the heavy with the mellow, and the unique progression of the music. It's not like one minute, it's mellow, and then BANG! *CRUNCH!* Furthest thing from it, really. In fact, a lot of times, you'd be listening away, and it would get enourmously heavy, and you wouldn't even realise it!

Also try the song 'Demon Of The Fall'.
    It has one of the most beautiful outro-riffs I've ever heard.
    And you'll get the idea of the stark contrasts blending that make the band so unique.

But give yourself time to get into them. When I first got Blackwater Park, it sat on my shelf for about a month before I even began to get into it. Now, well over a year later, it still gets better and better with every listen. ;)

They're doing a two-album project currently, one heavy, one mellow. The 'Heavy' one is out now, and it's called Deliverance. They mellow one will be out next year, and that's the album they'll be mostly promoting, I hear. So that's why it's presumed it'll be a mostly acoustic set. Either way, it should be a fantastic gig, and I do urge you to go.

And while you're at it, also try the song 'To Bid You Farewell'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

i think i've just cum in my pants....

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Ruaidhri
    i think i've just cum in my pants....

Did you see them last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

no alas i did not. they played the night of my birthday,or the day after if i remember..ah well this time.. :D and i have to go change my pants again.

I'm planning on getting this done:

opeth1.jpg

Cool, eh?

Left arm upper tho.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    I'm planning on getting this done:

opeth1.jpg

Cool, eh?

Left arm upper tho.
    Nice...

Now onto Opeth playin in Whelans... Feck it anyway, why the feck do these bands all come at the same feckin time?! I only have enough money to go to one gig. That will be The Haunted, Anthrax or Opeth. :mad: I'm glad to see all these bands coming to Ireland don't get me wrong, but why do they all have to come at the same time?! :mad:

Start saving now, tbh.

I'm planing on going to see Marduk, The Haunted and Opeth.
    They're all playing pretty close to each other.

All the christmas money I'm getting is going in the bank, tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement