Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€ircon can't do this can they?

Options
  • 29-11-2002 7:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

That BT one is quite good, shows what BB is really about, and in plain english too... Shame Eircom can't do one as good as that, or one that looks more interesting.

Btw, You are right about the modem downloading at 50KB/sec. This applies to ISDN too... Dual ISDN is at 70KB/sec download, lowering to 60KB/sec. (surely by their logic, it should be 100?)...

These ones are wrong, as:

56k modems can only get about 6-8K downloads at the very best (even then it's usually about 4- 6K normally) 0 remember you get better dl rates with diff isps

ISDN is more or less the same as a modem, except you may get about 8-10K max. and the double should be, by logic about 16-20K as the best, but i doubt it is.... 15K seems about right

*note: i'm just quoting figures i have experienced on my 56k modem (before the downgrade), so my figures may be off. If they are, don't hesitate to correct me.

ADSL is downloading at a REAL 50KB/sec, whereas the ones mentioned shouldn't be displaying it in the first place...

If anything, these figures make you wonder if there is any point in getting ADSL (asides from the fast animation, it just seems that things download at the same speed, with Dual ISDN being faster.)

Kind of makes you wonder, no?

Edit: Just noticed at the bottom of the tests that there is only an option for Hi-Speed... Where is I-Stream?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Cisco,

The ASAI won't touch this as its web content, not specifically advertising. I made a complaint, which was recentily upheld, against €ircom to the Director Of Consumer Affairs (www.doca.ie) in writing,about the content of www.adsl.com (they were trying to mis-represent ISDN as broadband again :rolleyes: ).

Do you think you could write a compelling arguemnt, say 250/350 words with a few screeshots of the website, as to how the content is misleading the customer ?

It so PM your email address and I will help you get the ball rolling, if you believe this is a misrepresentation, if you believe peeps are being lied to, do something about it, if not you, who ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Even when your complaint was upheld the graphic still said the download speed was KB/s and not Kb/s. Looks like they have finally changed this. It's still totally wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

animations made up by their "creative" staff

"Mickey Mouse" demos for a "Mickey Mouse" telco

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

just got a chance to look at those demos;

1) the eircom demo shows dial-up a bit too fast

2) Eircom demo confusing with poor usability design

3) Its also slow even over DSL! (looking at it in work)

4) BT demo streets ahead - also demo of how this sort of thing should be done.

But Britain, especially London, tends to attract some of the best designers & multimedia people from all over the world and will increasingly do so with their fancy-pants broadband gimcrackery.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Dunno what w3's got to do with it.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

I think cisco is trying to make a profound comment like the RAT being an insult to what the web was created for, by such emminent people as Tim Berners-Lee.

Is that it cisco? :) Enlighten us :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

That is thru dc, but it was more to the point the people that created the w3 ,
    while they help build the web - there is also a number of law degrees floating amongst them , they could tackle the social aspects and legalities of such a topic,

and lets face it, that is a misleading advertisement made simply for selling their product.

an isp especially one that has monopolised a country for so long can't advertise a product in such a way if it isn't true,

it's not that big a deal maybe?, maybe not - it's worth a mail or two

if you read the list of contributors for ex. Daniel J. Weitzner, Teochnology and Society Domain Leader : he is responsible for the development of technology standards that enable the web to address social, legal, and public policy concerns such as privacy, free speech, protection of minors, authentication, intellectual property and identification

theres actually quite a few more names that i will send emails too, if not to find out if it is allowed!

Advertisement