Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTVIP/ISDN vs iStream

• 29-11-2002 8:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

Been looking at the relative costs of UTVIP/ISDN vs iStream and UTVIP on ISDN is looking an awful lot cheaper. This is simply because of the flatrate makes a huge difference really. Anyone else looked at istream and decided its too expensive for home use? Not that I have the choice of iStream because I don't. But even if I had I think it would be too expensive to justify. Just wondering which way anyone who had the option went and the reasons why.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

many times iv'e considered the thought, but never would actually avail of the service, (there web site said i couldn't :rolleyes: )

or is that a ploy to get people to buy isdn off them instead - more money for them anyway,

principle i think is the word for this,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭santalives

when comparing to 2 you have to remember that with utvip you are restricted to only using the connection after 6 and at weeekends where as with i stream you can connect when ever be it day or night so if you only conenct in the evening yes it is a lot cheaper however if you want to use the net alot during peaks times the difference between the 2 is quite different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Good point...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Originally posted by santalives
    when comparing to 2 you have to remember that with utvip you are restricted to only using the connection after 6 and at weeekends where as with i stream you can connect when ever be it day or night so if you only conenct in the evening yes it is a lot cheaper however if you want to use the net alot during peaks times the difference between the 2 is quite different

Have to say I second that. Daytime usage is a killer for me and UTV at the moment would kill me if I used as much peak time as I used too. So I just stick to off-peak times now. Have to say the difference in savings in Huge! though with UTVip.

OHP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Don't forget that UTV also offer their Peak Saver option (details in this sticky thread). Pay them an extra €10 up front every month and your daytime Net calls will be 1.8c per minute. Well worth considering at least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Seems on cost UTVIP winds hands down if you are a single user with moderate use off peak. For business use (peak) and with more than more user on moderate use the the i-stream would be more cost effective. If you can avail of it. Which a lot of can't so then UTVIP is really the only cost effective option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Offers like this will become VERY interesting when FRIACO eventually gets introduced. Assuming it comes in at around 15-30 euros per month, It would make more sense to have a FRIACO isdn connection than esats forthcoming 256k dsl connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

i-stream, 3 gig cap, enuff said................................

wouldnt get it for the reasons above, €ircon fu*king penny pinching ****s :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Offers like this will become VERY interesting when FRIACO eventually gets introduced. Assuming it comes in at around 15-30 euros per month, It would make more sense to have a FRIACO isdn connection than esats forthcoming 256k dsl connection.

Is 4 channel ISDN possible? If not, surely you could bridge the connections or whatever windows xp calls it, or use linux which does such things to simulate one connection...

Who would need broadband when you could just muscle your way in with loads of ISDN ones :)

Alright, useless uninformed speculation... but fun!

zynaps

Advertisement