Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frontpage help

Options
  • 29-11-2002 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

I am trying to create an Intranet site for the company i work in and i have no webpage design expierience but i thought id give it a shot anyway.

Firstly is it normal for everything in Fronatpages "Normal" window beside html and preview to be all over the place ? By that i mean im trying to create the home page and when i position a graphic on the "normal" page it isnt in the correct position when i preview the page in IE , so i have to move the image around untill it looks right in IE.

Secondly how to i create a section that will stay on every page ? What i want to do is have a 2 inch section taking up the bottom of the webpage containing the links ?

Please help !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Frontpage has a feature called shared borders which works a bit like an include, it will do the footer you want.

As per Frontpage page layout, it is very loosely wysiwyg, always check the layout in ie browsers.

HTH, Stephen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Zaltais

I know this doesn't answer your question, but use Dreamweaver instead of Frontpage - it's about 200 time better...

The easiest way (for a newbie like yourself) to have a consistient navigation menu is to use frames... Dreamweaver will do them for you as well (frontpage probably has them as well)

Cheers,

Zaltais

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

I would suggest to use Dreamweaver as well but Dont use frames there horrible

Use a Template ......... in DW you can design a page withh all your links and save it as a Temp page then each timeyou want to make a new page you can open it and each page will have the links at the Bottom ////// I would suggest putting the links at the top so that your team members easliy navigate though your Intranet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Seriously avoid using front page if you can its not very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Don;t know why people have such an anti Frontpage bias, sure the earlier versions were dire, but FP 2002, when used with a server with the 2002 extensions, is a tidy, powerful content management solution, and ideal for a user whos experience of IT is office and browsing.

It is ideal for the MS based intranet, and suits schools, etc, very well too,

My 2c :)

Steve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The reason people hate FP is that it produces bad HTML. Of course it'll be easy to use etc., but it gives webmasters very bad habits.. hardcodes the style.. and produces a lot of extra files that don't seem to serve any purpose.
    I'd agree with others - use Dreamweaver or even TopStyle. They both provide WYSIWYG interfaces and more compliant code.
    Just my 2 cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

"server with the 2002 extensions" umm ideal for a beginner.

Its like learning to drive in an automatic car. Fine if you only ever drive automatics. But falls short if you ever need to drive a manual. Which will be 90% of the time. Get your licence driving an automatic and you'll only be allowed to drive automatics. Then when you come to buy and run your automatic car you'll find its much more expensive then a manual.

Just learn how to build webpages like everyone else does and don't take shortcuts. Learn HTML and use a proper HTML editor. Personally I use editplus which is like notepad with a few extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Boberto

Frontpage isn't that bad. I use it on my site (www.trekpulse.com) It's the first program i learned to use and i wouldn't be comfortable moving to dreamweaver.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Homesite is yer only man. None of that fancy Dreamweaver crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

vi is the biz - none of that fancy Homesite stuff :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

hehe - well as an heretical windoze user I dont have much access to vi.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Originally posted by musician
    hehe - well as an heretical windoze user I dont have much access to vi.
    Isn't there a windoze port available?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

FFS YUO R ALL NOOBZ RAEL WEBMASTARS USE NOTEPAED!!1111 :p

Seriously though, I used FP for a long time and its not nearly as bad as most people make it out to be. I was recently forced to make the switch to DW, and although DW is excellent there are a still a lot of time-saving things i miss in FP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Pico!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

Help.. yes but for frontpage no.

I have been designing web pages for about 10 years now (on and off), as I asume that most ppl will have been around here, or atleast have a good pool on experiance. I will help anyone who uses Macromedia products but not frontpage.

Download Dreamweaver here!!
    At the link above u can download a trial. 30 days. U need to sign up and u can use that sign-in name later to get more sh!t off them if u want.

Astalavista can me use to find a crack for dreamweaver if u want, if u cant find one PM me and I will mail u one if u like.

Dreamweaver have a free help tutorial section and a lession section over the net also if u buy if it u can get a lesson cd free (i think)

anyways ppl here will help u no prob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭donaloconnor

Keep Way FROM FRONTPAGE!!! It wasted a year of my life....

Dreamweaver MX all the way!, don't downlaod any earlier versions as they were hell to work with but MX is super!.

U should try viewing a site made by dreamweaver in frontpage and see what u get!

Advertisement