Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrier Line??

Options
  • 29-11-2002 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Greetings

I was reading some of the other threads on this board re. line splitters etc and it started me thinking about my home phone line and the crap line speeds I get (28K if I'm very lucky)

I rang up eircom's faults department and asked them if I had a line splitter installed. The lady I spoke to said I had. Fair enough I said, can I have it removed please. She said no and after some wrangling she said I'd have to talk to sales. I thought it was a bit stange but went along with it anyway. Sales eventually passed me back to faults who in the end said I hadn't got a splitter installed at all. What I have is a carrier line? She tried explaining what it meant but all I could get was that because the line goes to a remote address (Cavan country) I had to share a line to the exchange with others. AFAIK the exchange is about 2/3k away.

Does anyone know what exaclty a carrier line is? Does what she said make sense? Would this be the cause of the crap connection speeds?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by asmith
    Does anyone know what exaclty a carrier line is? Does what she said make sense? Would this be the cause of the crap connection speeds?
    It is a means of sharing a single copper pair with another subscriber. It saves copper. It is indeed the cause of crap connection speed. Impossible to get speeds above 28k if on a carrier line. ADSL impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

carrier line = splitter = pairgain = dacs

the wording is used interchangeably in this board and the net/comms board and the issue comes up weekly and is nationwide.

you will never get broadband with a spliiter of any kind installed/

essentially you pay full rental to share a line with somebody and get no rebate from Eircom for it...... full line rental should equate to full line.

if it was installed since April this year then it is illegal, note This and search for user Kennett and his recent posts which lead you to more detailed discussions on the matter.

The €ircon muppet who told you a carrier line was not (per se) split is lying, thats actionable through the channels Kennett mentions..

2/3 of a KM is NOT remote , 6 KM plus constitutes remote in technological terms. Cavan is not remote either, the line rental is national....if Cavan is remote and you get a worse service than Cabinteely then you should pay less for it.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭asmith

Fair enough. That's cleared up a few questions.

The line was installed years ago so unfortunately I've sort of missed the April cutoff date. Would I be right in saying that Eircom are under no legal obligation to upgrade the line to a "full line"? Are they bound to a deadline for upgrading carrier lines?

Thanks for info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by asmith
    Fair enough. That's cleared up a few questions.

The line was installed years ago so unfortunately I've sort of missed the April cutoff date. Would I be right in saying that Eircom are under no legal obligation to upgrade the line to a "full line"? Are they bound to a deadline for upgrading carrier lines?

Thanks for info.

This question has been posed a few times. I believe that the answer is that there is no obligation and no deadline for lines installed pre April 2002.

However there are two possible approaches you could investigate-
    • Order a new line and once it is installed cease the old one - costs a few euro, but if you use the line a lot for internet may be worth it.
    • Move/threaten to move to another carrier - Eircom is legally obliged to unencumber the line (remove cr*p) before handing it over to a competitor.

Muck/Anyone expand on this ?

Mods is this something for a FAQ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

complex . If they won't provide adequate copper within 2/3 of a KM of the exchange then there is no hope for Ireland as a knowledge based society.....you are .67 KM away and not 6.7KM like some others.

complain to J G Ryan , Company Secretary, Eircom , St Stephens Green House, Dublin 2 (recorded delivery in writing of course)

Tell him his employees refuse to " Show Cause " as to why your line is being degraded like this. This is evidenced in the lie about a Carrier Line NOT being a Split line.

Demand that he " show cause " in detail , in writing, within 14 days. Tell him you'd be just as happy if he wrote and said that it was fixed.......

The reply will PROBABLY NOT be satisfactory but it WILL form a basis for a fully valid complaint to the ODTR in 14days + 1

You MUST give Eircom 14 days to fix it or else explain in writing why not. Then you can contest the explanation in detail through the regulator....but they must have a chance to fix it or to explain when it will be fixed.

Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Here's a question I just thought of: How was this handled in the UK?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 14,400 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I have had this argument numerous times and complained loads i am about 2.5 miles from the exchange and have the same problems. never got an answer i don't beleive that they do anything if you change carriers as most people here (SW donegal) dumped esat cos of crap line quality and their original system didn't work. bit like meteor and o2 don't work either
    eircom have a monopoly as far as i can see outside major cities

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Order a new line and once it is installed cease the old one - costs a few euro, but if you use the line a lot for internet may be worth it.

Chances are they will stick a DAC on someone else's line in order to give you a second line )C:

Advertisement