Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Litreacha Cearr

• 29-11-2002 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Cad is feidir liom a deanamh nuair a mbionn litir, ce a raibh deanta le fada, neamh-leirithe. Cad is bri liom is nuair a scriobhann duine a-fada, leirim e mar caractair eile, cosuil le Ruiseach. Bfheidir go bhfuill rud eigin san options do, ach bfheidir go bfhuill rud eigin. Agus, bhfeidir nach cabhraionn e me go usaideann me riomhairi piobli.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭rien_du_tout

Ar mhaith leat an slí chun fada a dheaneamh? Cuir síos an butún "Alt Gr" agus an litreach a mhaith leat an fada a curtha os cionn ag an am chéanna.

Hold the "alt gr" button and press the ltter you want to put the fada over. Sorry about the bad irish but I try!

Seán

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Internet Explorer:

View -> Encoding -> Western European (Windows)

Netscape 4 (níl ach Netscape 4 agam):

View -> Character Set -> Western (ISO-8859-1)

Ceapaim go bhfuil tu ag caint faoin rud seo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

mm yeah i think she's talking about the character set.. like the é isn't showin up at all, and it's coming up as some freaky character..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Nuair nach bhfuil sé rómh éasca le daoine eile do cúpla focail a tuigint, deir iad i mBéarla freisin led'thoil.

...mar deireann sé s'na ríalanna.

--

When it's not too easy for others to understand your few words, please say them in English also.

...as suggested in the charter/rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Scríobh rien_de_tout:
    butún

An-mhaith a chara! Iarracht mhaith!:D

"Cnaipe" an ghaeilge atá ar "button" a dhuine.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭seaghdhas

mm yeah i think she's talking about the character set.. like the é isn't showin up at all, and it's coming up as some freaky character..

Sin é. Tá sé níos mó chun rudaí a léabh ná a phost. Ní raibh ciail ar rud eigin. Obraíonn AltGr, ach obraíonn Ctrl+Alt freisin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

shouldn't that be "phostáil"?
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

No, it should be "rudaí a sheoladh"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Tá sé níos éasca agus úsáideach é seo a rá as béarla :)

Depending on the character set and encoding used to write and or view (generally view) the writing, it'll often come out as upside down exclamation marks instead of í's and so forth...

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do to assure how it'll appear on someone else's screen, unless you're writing a webpage, in which case I think you can force a certain encoding.

It's poxy, because sometimes entering your name in online forms and stuff (if it has fadas and stuff in it) you'll get gobbldegook like Ois$efn or Ois»n or just Oisn ... etc. instead of Oisín :)
    My sister lived in Japan or a while, and when we used to email her stuff, anything with fadas in it would come out as japanese kanji I think.
    And when I applied for a passport years ago, the envelope from the government I got back had my name with messed up characters instead of vowels, because they'd tried to put fadas in it, and it printed out using the printer's own character set which ... obviously didn't have fada letters in the same places :)

If it's just that the pc you're on won't let you input fada chars with ctrl-alt-vowel or alt gr/etc, you should be able to use numpad chars - hold alt and type the ascii code on the keypad.

130 - é
    160 - á
    161 - í
    162 - ó
    163 - ú
    178 - ▓ :P

zynaps
    (sorry for being overly verbose)

Advertisement