Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worst moment in video games

Options
  • 29-11-2002 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭

Everyone always talks about the best moment in video games, but what is peoples worst. After a bit of thinking i have come to the decision that Rare moving to Microsoft is mine. I play pc games a lot but I always have a Nintendo console.My main reason for buying the N64 was Goldeneye and before that I played Donkey Kong and the like (i even likes Killer Instinct on the Snes). Other than that I think some game endings are pants, most memorable was Super Metroid. After slogging for what seemed an eternity There it was, a crap ending.

So what is everyones worst video gaming moment????

Petes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

i know the team from goldeneye has moved and made timesplitters/timesplitters 2 but there was just something about getting that Rareware sign on a box mmmm......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

When Looking Glass went bust.

System Shock.
    Thief.
    Need I say more?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

MY worst moment had to be Black and White...... all of it!!!!! what a crap game, I cant beleave I spent money on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

worst moment...Hmmm, not sure.

bad times were certainly stuff like
    Sega dropping outta the console market
    Diakatana hehehe, what was romero thinking
    Atari Jaguar being ahead of its time....

Sega screwing up the saturn.

theres quite a few more....but i think the good outways the bad....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

omg sutty, Black & White owns!, twas a classic game, just cause your monkey didnt like you spanking him......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Rare would be mine i loved their games

Jet Force Gemini
    Banjo
    DK
    Goldeneye

But they also created my worst gaming experience.
    Perfect Dark one of the best game sever made right up until stinky little aliens came into it.

That was an excellent game but the aliens on the later levels ruined it for me.

kdjaC

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Streets of rage, just when you think you have completed it, BAM! back to the sixth level you go GRR! so so very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The commercial failure of the DreamCast still brings a tear to my eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Giblet
    Streets of rage, just when you think you have completed it, BAM! back to the sixth level you go GRR! so so very cheap.

YES! I smashed the shíte out of a control pad over that.

He's an evil boss, surely you should be rewarded for turning over to the DarkSide? Darth Vader would've appreciated it..... >sniff<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

RTCW.
    It could have been so much better and such a let down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭[CALIBUR]

the end of rtcw was pure **** but the rest was ok in my eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Sitting down with 4 or 5 mates to play Mario Kart 64 for the first time and then realising that it was a pile of trash even the battle levels.

Stuck on the original one again pretty sharpish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

When I read that Looking Glass studios were not going to be doing Thief after going kablooey...

Some new crowd have taken over the license and I am praying they will not make a c()ck up of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

when i cancelled my UO account :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Originally posted by lafortezza
    When I read that Looking Glass studios were not going to be doing Thief after going kablooey...

Some new crowd have taken over the license and I am praying they will not make a c()ck up of it

Warren Spector has taken it on with a lot of ex looking glass staff who worked on the first two. ive a sneaking suspicion that they can pull it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Giblet

Still only took a few hours (probably less if you weren't crap) to complete though. I was pretty damn disappointed with the whole thing (look - if I thought it was too easy it really must have been).

Worst moment in video games?
    Can't get worse than that Custer game from the early 80s (can't remember what format it was on). The one where the entire point seemed to be tying Indian girls (or rather pink blobs) to posts and raping them.

Whoever even thought of that one should be shot, along with the idiot who thought it might be a good idea to sell it.

(edit)Found a fairly informative link here. There's also a ROM link. I know we've policies about such things here but I doubt anyone will object if you're fool enough to want to try it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Warcraft 3 - The Day Lucutus Dropped
    Twas a 2v2v2 and myself and Lucutus were safely hammering all opposition, in a very stable position and brimming with confidence. Then Luc decided to excel in the art of homosexuality and dropped from the game (we would have won you bastard!!!) sending meh on a downhill defensive for the next 20 minutes till I was overwhelmed. Not strictly adhering to the topic I know, but twas incredibly annoying nonetheless :)

[edit by Lucutus]I said I was sorry. It's not like I could prevent it![/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

My old TV came crashing down on top of my psx once. Completely fux0ring both the tv and the console. I'd needed a new psx anyway the lens just became ****ed one day and for it to recognise CD's it had to be turned upside-down. But still a fairly bad experience none-the-less.

Another royal pain in the ass is in an online clan match in any game one CRUCIAL moment where you could cap the flag/bone the last terrorist fag0t or whatever and you lag and get disconnected from the server. Cmon like, theres nothing like losing a 100 kills score that gets LOADS of cool points within the l33t g4m3rz community.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Originally posted by sceptre
    Worst moment in video games?
    Can't get worse than that Custer game from the early 80s (can't remember what format it was on). The one where the entire point seemed to be tying Indian girls (or rather pink blobs) to posts and raping them.

Whoever even thought of that one should be shot, along with the idiot who thought it might be a good idea to sell it.

http://www.geocities.com/logie_links/CustersRevenge.jpg
    YEE HAA....

Custers Revenge possibly the worst game released on the Atari2600 after ET;)

-Worst moment for me was the bugged load of crap that was the first release of Elite: First Encounters....God damn.. It was unplayable and still got released!

[edit] I've just taken a look at that picture and was thinking maybe it's not suitable for kids viewing....but lets be honest, it's about as exciting as this game gets and the actuall game play is about as detailed as 2 pong bats going at it:D [/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Here's a list of this person's pick for the 20 worst games of all time. It's absolutely hilarious. Custer's Revege and ET both make an appearance.

http://www.seanbaby.com/nes/egm20.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

The point about half way into Half Life Blue Shift where windows just shat me back out onto the desktop.
    EVERY JAYSUS TIME!!
    Gave up on the game and consigned it to the shelf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by milltown
    The point about half way into Half Life Blue Shift where windows just shat me back out onto the desktop.
    EVERY JAYSUS TIME!!
    Gave up on the game and consigned it to the shelf.
    i get the same thing in soul reaver, i even tried installing windows 98 to see if it would stop it... but no:mad:

my all time worst moment is prolly when i first saw the simpsons wrestling on the ps1 *shudder* i feel sorry for any poor baxtard that actually went out & bought that pile of dog mess.

worst ending ever would have to go to quake 1, just an external view & some boring text:(
    but then again it did say something along the lines of "id software salutes you"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Yautja

My personal worst was playing through Half life - so many vents, everywhere arghhh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Zelda 64
    that forest temple had me in tears at one stage..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Originally posted by tman
    my all time worst moment is prolly when i first saw the simpsons wrestling on the ps1 *shudder* i feel sorry for any poor baxtard that actually went out & bought that pile of dog mess.

i would have to disagree there. it did suck big time in one player, but add too many frineds to get a got and crates of cheap lager and BAMB its very very very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

In fairness, lots of friends + crates of cheap lager + anything = fun

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

When lucas arts said they would no longer release their adventure games on the Amiga. The Amiga started dying that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I actually forgot the bouncing balls in IK+ on the C64

Was quite fun until about 45 came at you at same time.

Awww me remembers the cracks on the TV screen from that game :)

KdjaC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

being in the mood for a online game of DoD or other HL mod.
    Connecting to the net, launching said mod...

finding out there's a new version [or patch] launched seconds before I connected and everybody has it 'cept for me. :mad:

Advertisement