Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kate Can't Live Without!

Options
  • 29-11-2002 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

From Kate Butler:

Thursdays, Noon - 3:00pm
    Power FM
    Playlist for Nov 29th

My guest for Can't Live Without wasn't able to make it at the last minute, but it was great having the show to myself for once...

Outkast – Ms Jackson (Arista)
    Stonking. Apparently this is an ode to the mother of Erykah Badu cos one of the Outkasters got her up the pole. But that might be a vicious rumour.

The Skatalites – Shockers Rock (Studio One)
    Rohan from Bassbin played this last week in his Can’t Live Without selection. It’s so good, had to play it m’self.

Missy Elliott – Work It (Elektra)
    Skinny Missy!?! Fat tune tho’.

Method Man – I’ll Be There For You/You’re All I Need, LP version (Def Jam)
    Brings me straight back to 1996 and stuff that I won’t bore you with now. Aside from MM’s dodgy lyrics about keeping it tight (a’ight), it’s hip hop with unadulterated soul. This version doesn’t have the Mary G Blige’s lyrics which are mesmerising…but it’s got slick, dark undertones.

Decal – Excelsios (Ultramack)
    Off the Dublin two’s debut album, Ultramack 004, which I only got listening to in recent years and am entranced by.

Decal – Player (Trama Industries)
    From one of their electro 12” that started coming out in 1999, towards the end of the Funnel glory days. Slower, but just as gritty as the longer, dancefloor tracks on the same releases, I never tire of it.

Decoy – This City (D1)
    Decal again, this is from a 12” they did for Dublin techno label D1. The kind of record that makes me wish I could mix (or could be arsed learning…)

Americhord – Soundstorm (Road records)
    Otherwise known as Mcut, she played a storming live set at DEAF this year. Only picked this 7” up recently, but will be keeping an ear out for her other stuff.

NERD – Run To The Sun (Virgin)
    They make me feel like a schoolgirl. I have such a crush on Pharrell Williams. Lush.

Jay Z & Beyonce – Bonnie & Clyde (VIP)
    To be honest, I bought this because Beyonce sings a verse from Prince’s If I Was Your Girlfriend, which is (with a gun to my head) my favourite Prince track. But it’s a nice bit of pop fluff aswell. And I know everyone goes on about how amazing Jay Z is, but he’s definitely got charisma.

Serge Gainsbourg feat Brigitte Bardot – Bonnie & Clyde
    What a link. Biggup Mick Heaney for putting me onto this track. Loving it.

Scott Logan – Allegra, D1 mix (Paradiddle)
    The deck master, Logan has taken up production and run with it – this is his debut release from last year. He also produces with Eamonn Doyle as Active Service Unit.

Drexiya – Let Me Be Me (Warp)
    Stunning album.

The Last Sound – Why Spoil Yourself (FES)
    My favourity track off this debut album on the wonderful FrontEnd Synthetics label.

Kate Bush – Oh To Be In Love (EMI)
    She’s only great.

The Tycho Brahe – Your House From Mine (Konstantin)
    I still can’t get over how magical this track is – David Donohoe played it on his selection for Can’t Live Without.

The Third Eye Foundation – I’ve Lost That Loving Feline (Domino)
    Syncopated beats with operatic vocals, this guy’s music is steeped in pathos and tragedy.

Saint Etienne – Only Love Can Break Your Heart, Andy Weatherall mix (Heavenly)
    Cool and deadly.

Deee-Lite – What Is Love (Elektra)
    Have a deep, old love for this track. Goes out to Emmet who also loves it.

Sugarcubes – Hit (One Little Indian)
    Cute ditty, best known for introducing the world to Miss Iceland.

Bjork – Cocoon (One Little Indian)
    It’s oh so quiet.

Deputy Fuzz – Rockstar Jacket (Catchygogo)
    Utter fluff, but very endearing – punky pop outfit that are apparently brilliant live, but I haven’t seen them yet. Deadly album.

Icons – Time Undefined (Precious Material)
    The sort of drum and bass that gets my heart pumping and makes my knees weak.

Drummer Boy – Howya (Looney Tunes)
    Brilliant, brilliant track by Naphta on Bassbin’s off-shoot label for silly music.

Shut Up And Dance – The Green Men (Telstar, Kaos Theory compilation)
    Fast beats + whooping + strings = it’s a rave!

A Guy Called Gerald – Silent Cry (Juice Box)
    Transfixing track from one of the best albums ever, Black Secret Technology.

Grace Jones – Pull Up To The Bumper (Island)
    What a freak.

The Normal – Warm Leatherette (Nuphonic, Andy Weatherall comp)
    Based on JG Ballard’s Crash, it’s all farcical leather’n’death’n’sex lyrics. Ridiculously stringent beats too.

Lou Reed – Satellite of Love (BMG)
    Another freak.

In Deep – Last Night A DJ Saved My Life (Hot Classics)
    Reminds me of Cork and the brilliant Mor Disco club that kicked disco ass.

Blondie – One Way Or Another (Chrysalis)
    Imagine being stalked by Debbie Harry…

Backstreet Boys – No Diggity (MCA)
    King of swing, Teddy Riley, produced this monster.

SWV – Right Here (BMG)
    Another Teddy Riley hit, and this also features Pharrell Williams of the Neptunes rapping in the background (Riley discovered the Neptunes when they were in highschool and took ‘em under his wing).

Aaliyah – Try Again (Virgin)
    Just love everything about this, from Aaliyah’s singing to the space age production.

Divine Styler – Shen (Dublab comp)
    Haven’t heard as much of this guy as I’d like to, cos this is the kind of track that makes you go “ping”. Speedy electronic beats morph into guitar strumming with Styler rapping and singing to both with ease.

De La Soul – A Rollet Skating Jam Called Saturday (Def Jam)
    It wasn’t Saturday, but it was sunny and this record is as sunny as they come.

Advertisement