Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC game prices

• 29-11-2002 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi,

Buying Morrowind: Tribunal add on pack,
    checked in Game (Grafton St, Dublin) today, brand new release eur34.99
    went over to Smyths (Near old Virgin cinema, Dublin) and picked it up for eur12.99, and I could have had an additional 10% off for loyalty card holders.

Even though Game has a match any price offer, I'd prefer to get it from somewhere who doesn't try to rip me off first.

Shop around.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Same old story, Felix! In recent times, there has been about one thread a fortnight about the rip-off prices in Game (and the relatively reasonable prices in Smyths).

Of course in Limerick (and in a way, Dublin), Smyths is a bit out of the way while Game is on a main shopping street. Therefore Game get more business due to laziness/convenience more than anything else....

- Dave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Game shouldnt be allowed use those lowest price guarantee stickers .
    They are a joke.
    In Cork most of their games are cheaper in Virgin which is less than 70 yards away.
    I picked up Duke Nukem:Manhattan Project for 35 euro in Game and its 19.99 in Virgin .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Doubt anything can be done about the lowest price guarantee stickers (given that they promise to match anyone else's prices) but on a moral leval, you're certainly bang on, MisterAnarchy.

I tend to ignore those guarantees that say "we'll match it". A few places (not games, more stuff like washing machines and large appliances) have guarantees like "we'll match the price and take another 10% off" or "double the difference", you know the drill. Places offering price guarantees like this have a genuine self-benefit in keeping their prices down. Merely promising to match an offer elsewhere (if you care to go and look) just doesn't do it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Doubt anything can be done about the lowest price guarantee stickers (given that they promise to match anyone else's prices) but on a moral leval, you're certainly bang on, MisterAnarchy.

Tear them off.

I will not pay €69.99 for a PC game on principle.
    They do not have to pay royalty to any hardware manufacturer, and in general most bigger PC games are bought in large enough numbers to recoup the development expenditure, which is often lowered by the usage of 3rd party software (middleware).

Game should be burnt.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Think Fifa 2003 was 65 in Game, 49 in PC World and I got it from Amazon.co.uk for 44 delivered. All Euro prices!

Fuk game - should be reported, if that is possible!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I hate game, I havent bought a game from them in about 2 years but ill still browse. My friend went in there out of convience and picked up FF10. Without checking and on an educated guess he said it was cheaper in Virgin. Now get this! The guy at the desk simply said 'Yeah we know' and gave him the discount...WTF is that? This is exactly what sceptre was saying. They're just feeding off the laziness of others

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Game will give you the 'discount' if you show that it's cheaper elsewhere. Most people don't bother checking though and Game know this. Anyway, cdwow.ie do playstation games now and they average €47.50 for new releases which is €15-€20 cheaper then in the shops with free delivery. Bye bye game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 b0bmast3r

At least you guys have a decent game store in your county.....the nearest game to me is in the 'north' but after paying sterling costs and bus fare (petrol money) i still works out cheaper yor local tiny music/video store. In extravision resident evil for the GC, was 70 euro, in virgin it cost 19.99 sterling, :confused: 38 euro (real money) bah, ripoff ireland strikes again

Im a hermit living in a hole.
    b0b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

That Virgin offer is a pretty amazing price for the game (sale or not) - cdwow are selling it for €50, play for 29.95 (about €48?). They do deliver for nothing though so you're never far away from a virtual store if you've got a credit card. That's an aside though - €70 for games would put me off getting a console at all (might be why I still just have my PSX)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭@rchives

Hi I like to plug websites.

Bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

went in there the other day to buy sim city 4 .. walked out when i saw the price .. like 60 quid ffs . but then i did buy some 3d futuristic game for only 2 euros ... i was kinda amazed when she said that

Cheers Typedef. Obviously hacking peoples posts when they're trying to be helpful is a very worthwhile use of your time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Using the phrases "Typedef" and "hacking peoples posts" in a forum that Typedef actually moderates is interesting.

Especially when you consider the computing (albeit cracking) associations ;)

If typedef the moderator didn't like me suggesting people use <no plugging buddy end of story> which I've found very cheap, then he should have not posted the thread.

Rather than editing it to say "Hi I like to plug websites"

Edit: Right pal, I've just edited out your blatant plug and banned you, you can get yourself unbanned by pming me.

Have a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

There is a difference between being helpful and saying 'go buy something here', I'd rather not debate that if you don't mind.

I'm not suggesting you are going to financially gain from 'plugging', but as a rule of thumb, it's against the site's rules.

No biggie, it's not personal, just the 'rules'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

If you can find something on ODCA.ie that they are breaking then contact the Office Of Director Of Comsumer Affairs about it. If not get a load of us to formally complain in writing to game or just loike stick some sign in the window that says "Dont go in here, they ripp you off". Big sign, with a picture of some €'s on it.

They do overprice but i dont think there is any law against it. In my country though, if you overprice ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

I'm glad somebody actually brought this up.
    I'm not exactly sure where GAME are getting their prices as of late but it is now cheaper for me to buy a PC game from England then one here.
    Over the course of the last year and more I have noticed a consistent and unexplainable rise in their prices. Before the great Euro changeover a new PC game would set you back £ 34.99, expensive but tolerable. Post Euro changeover it was €44.99, roughly in line with what I was expecting. Fast forward 4 months and then miraculously the price has jumped to €60.00!.
    Another few months pass and recently I called in just to see what they had now decided to charge, €65.99!. All the while the pricing in their English stores remain the same? Is it just the "Oirish" syndrome kicking in for GAME i.e. charge whatever you like and no one will do anything about it, just grin and bear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭XbLaDe

www.gamer.uk.com. Most games are about 40 to 47 euro including postage to ireland.

Talking about ripoffs I recently saw medal of honour in a local computer shop being sold for 67.99 ...... some retailers must think we are all mugs.

Advertisement