Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

damien rice, jools holland, friday night

Options
  • 29-11-2002 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭

from cluas...

someone said that damo rice is on tonight...should be cool

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

good good good can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Apparently he's performing the Blowers Daughter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ross_k

That's right, I heard he supposed to be on last week. He's definitely on tonight, hope he gets the chance to play a bit more than The Blowers Daughter.

Here's the last email from the Later mailing list:

Welcome to the Later with Jools Holland Newsletter.

Friday's show is on BBC2 at 11:35pm or catch the repeat at 12:45am very late this Sunday night.

ON THIS FRIDAY'S SHOW:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/later/

For interviews, competitions,and even more information, visit the site.

BADLY DRAWN BOY
    Damon Gough brings his unique understated singer- songwriter style to the studio, with tracks from his new album, Have you Fed the Fish?

MOBY
    The vegan spaceman returns complete with string quartet, playing "We are All Made of Stars" and "In This World" .

THE SUGABABES
    Keisha, Mutya and Heidi sing the Numanesque "Freak Like Me", and the vocally gorgeous current single, "Stronger".

FEMI KUTI
    Nigerian master of the polyrhythm, Fela's saxophonist son plays tracks from his new album, Fight to Win.

DAMIEN RICE
    The Irish auteur and former member of Juniper performs "The Blower's Daughter", from this summer's album, O.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

i tells ya if i have to sit through a load of moby ass just to see one damo rice song i'll be mighty p'd off

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Grr... 2 Moby songs, 2 BDB's songs, 1 Sugababes song and 2 others before Damien got on. Typical...

He did a good job though.

I can't help but think that if he had the full band and Lisa with him, he'd have blown everyone away....

- Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Yeh he sounded a little lost all on his lonesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭the66electric

Good, but would have been alot better with the fantastic Lisa Hannigan.
    That Moby really pisses me off and Badly Drawn Boy was about as lively as a retarded baby caterpillar.

( )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

i thought he was brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Cozpyro

Hats off to Mr Rice. Top performance.

And to have Dave Brubeck on the the show!!!!!!

Shame Moby brought a dull light to the rest of the glitter.

Badly Drawn Boy with the Badly Tuned Guitar and the Badly Sounding Vocals. He's just god awful.

Sugarbabes were suprisingly good though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Morn

Fair play to Mr. Rice he certainly poured his heart and soul into his performance.

I have to disagree with you Cozpyro about the Sugababes tho - I thought that they were very weak - it was a good move putting them on Jools Holland - if they'd been competent it woulda been a nice feather in their cap. But in my professional opinion they were lacking... the band was class - as any bunch of hired musicos will be but Sugababes voices just did not stand up to close scrutiny. Thank god they didn't try and dance tho! They did manage to make Damien look really good, not that he needed it
    :)

yeah have to agree with u on the sugababes thing morn i thought that there voices were not strong enuff or something but anyway back to the point damien rice was fantastic really really good version of the song

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

sugababes impressed me too, groovy harmonies, the asian-like one has a cool voice.

and a nice subtle performance from damien, good to see him under the star light where he belongs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭megameaty

I can't believe Jools Holland called him "Damon", not once but twice!! That's shameful.... Other then that, twas a good performance. Go Rice-o!

Just goes to show what a lacking twat Jools Hollands is.

He's not a twat really - he did get the boy to play on his show (well one of his producers did anyway...)

He just has a rare tropical speech impediment called Nodamienitis - he's entirely unable to say the name 'Damien' and has to resort to saying 'Damon' instead... or else he has a not-so-secret crush on Damon Albarn...

i think the latter theory is more probable morn

I just hate the way he trys to play piano with everyone on the planet. Even guys who have no ****ing idea who he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

i love the way he does his apparently impromptu jives!

saw the twat *the streets*a few weeks ago on it;jkust caught the end;the twat has no class or any idea of how to ...of how to even be a human.

the guy performing with him was giving him looks too,indicating the streets needing a new co-vocalist

what a monkey.

rice was alright.break beat style was weird;was unsure how theyd like it;but he got whoops at the end!

But 66e, you gotta respect the man for having one of the coolest jobs in the world tho... if you were him not would you not try and jam with everyone you could?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭rapture_queen

I dont think that Damien Rice should have played that song.

I thought he should have plaayed CannonBall.

It would have been better although he did get a big cheer that nite!

yeah but is blowers daughter not the song he has released in the UK at the moment i think that mite be why he played it

Advertisement