Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dot NET your views, thoughts, opinions, findings

Options
  • 29-11-2002 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭

Right folks the first thing I want to say is I do not want to see this thread falling into a M$ are crap or a .NET Vs Java debate, I know some Java stuff will come into it but this thread is not a debate over which is better. Mod's if this becomes a flame war please lock/delete/move as you see fit.

What I do want to see in this thread are people's own opinions on .NET. In other words if you have worked with .NET how have you found it. I dont care if its a case of you hate it and have ditched it or if you like it and never want to work in any other env again ;).

I have a good bit to say on this but its nearly 5:30 on a Friday and that means the pub is calling so I'll stick up my opinion on Monday.

kayos

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Well our product is mostly .NET (C#, mainly) and I have to say that its great. There is a bit of a steep learning curve (I come from a UI/HTML/Graphics background) but I'm getting better. :)

It seems very very powerful, and beats the hell out of ASP/PHP pages, IMHO (both of which I've developed in).

Its harder to learn, though.

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Can anyone give a short explanation on what .NET actually is? I read up on it a bit when it first appeared, but I never really got it. What's the relationship between .NET and C#, and what are they good for? I'm sure I'm not the only one around here who doesn't know what it's all about. I could go and look it up, but someone who has experience with it can probably give a better explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

This article gives a good explanation of .NET ...

http://arstechnica.com/paedia/n/net/net-1.html

I have experimented a little with C# but not enough to draw any conclusions.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I must say that so far, I'm pretty unconvinced with .NET.

Yes, C# is a pretty good language, but its not .NET. It is one of a myriad of languages in which .NET programming can be undertaken.

.NET, the framework, is really promising, but (IMHO) is missing faaaar to much to be really up to speed yet. This, for me, is the major issue. .NET will replace API coding in Windows. Cool - and when they have a complete .NET framework for the complete windows API, I'll consider that as useful. Similarly, there are other aspects of it which are missing much functionality (or missing entirely).

Takeup on .NET has been weak. This is why the next release of VisualStudio.NET is being numbered as a major release, but is in reality only an incremental release - MS admit that they are doing this to increase the rate of takeup....many developers dont move to new systems like this until the second or third version.

To me, there is good reason why takeup has been weak - .NET is not ready, not yet. When it is though, it will be rather cool unless MS screw it all in the meantime.

jc

Advertisement