Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Special RJ11 Wires

Options
  • 29-11-2002 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭

Was in the local computer store today and saw Belkin RJ-11 modem wire.
    It said they were good for increasing speed etc and had something to do with copper on the cover too.
    Anyone had any experience with these?
    Do they make your modem faster etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I'm not an expert in this, but I suspect they would not make your modem faster, but rather they would allow you to run the cable further from the splitter and still get a connection. Might also be useful in situations with interference.

Generally, your connection will be limited by a speed cap implemented by the operator and other upstream bottlenecks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

'twasn't the place in Barrack street was it?

E.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

the copper will just provide a cleaner connection due to its higher conductivity.. its not about to make your modem faster, but if you are currently using a bog standard phone cable then a purchase might be an idea, at the very least you're getting rid of any potential bottleneck and potential errors at your end of things.. but as already said you're more likely to suffer from problems with the carriers lines than yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

lol ya mayhem, thats why i posted here first :D
    fvckin twelve euro too :)
    havent got it yet btw, will check around in galway 2moro.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

in fairness, jsut get a length of CAT5e and put RJ11 heads on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

I use the 6 foot version -

My rooms full of RF and I lay the cable over mains/fans/radios etc.

It seem to inprove my connection speed/ reliabilty given my circumstances.
    in fairness, jsut get a length of CAT5e and put RJ11 heads on it.
    Probably the best solution for most - the twisted pairs should cut out most interference. Use STP (shielded twisted pair) is you can find it .

b

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

anyone got a link for what i should be looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Advertisement