Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

taking out 2000 putin back in 98

• 29-11-2002 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭

lads, i moved home recentally, me father gave his mate a lend of the pc. as a nice repayment (well he thought it was nice) his friend updated it up to 2000. as you all know its more of an office program than a home one. my father wishes he never did it cause he cant play his chess games an stuff... you can install games, but most of them wont play.

hows excally do i go about replacing 2000 with 98,

*keeping all the drivers and everything else, because me father being the prat he is threw them out..! he said he was doing a "clear out"

any sugestions.. ? or even a site or 2?
    thanks..
    Peace.
    Kas.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

You have a major task ahead of you there.

there is no official way to downgrade windows. Even worse is that if your drive is ntfs(chances are since your going from win2k) a format may be the only way to install win98 on it. i think partition magic can convert a partition from ntfs to fat32 but i could be wrong though.

as for drivers win2k drivers are not compatable with win98(except some wdm audio drivers and thats onlt win98 SE)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

As DiscoStu says, if you've not done it before you're certainly going to see it as a major job (if you were uninstalling and reinstalling operating systems on a regular basis it really wouldn't bother you).

If it wasn't a custom PC you'll the 98 drivers fairly easily - most good manufacturers will have a nice single page with all required drivers listed (remember to slap your dad though, if he hadn't thrown them out your job would be easier)

You're going to have to wipe and install. That isn't as bad as it seems if you can back up all your data somewhere before doing it. Most common or garden PC users never have much actual personal data on their machines anyway (though most of the people around here could have gigabytes of the things).

Can you back this data up if you want to keep it? Or find someone with an external zip drive or something similar to temporarily back up the stuff (or even someone else who'll pop your hard drive in their machine to grab the stuff from it)? Just the user data - word files and so on, not the programs. If you can't do this, if there's too much stuff to back up, it's probably wishful thinking even asking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

get new chess games.

seriously.

kdjaC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

It does look like a format and reinstall. One (hard earned) hint though : make a note of ALL the devices that will require drivers before formatting the disk. If possible download the 98 drivers to disks/cd beforehand. This will save much heartache

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

keep windows 2000, it's the best operating system MS have ever made by far. Not as nice and cuddly as XP but it works damn well. Once you've patched it of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

meglome makes a good point. If you're swiching back to 98 for the sake of a small few games (plenty of nice new chess games suitable for win2k), it's probably not worth it. Windows 2000 is a great OS and unlike XP doesn't need a 1Ghz+ machine to run faster than a dog.

Grab yourself a copy of partition magic (or another reliable partition app) and you could have both. I've only win2k on my desktop, laptop has 98, 2000 and redhat8 (I keep 98 strictly for running old games like civ2 and NFS - MS Office and everything useful is on XP).

If you really really must go back to 98, follow MarVeL's advice - make a list of your hardware while you still have a windows installation to identify them and get all the relevant 98 drivers beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Duh ...LOL

Umm why not create a 2nd partition and have both :)

kdjaC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Kastro

any1 know where i can get this partition magic.? cause i have féck all money. PM me.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭deckie27

Kastro
    There is a slim chance
    That there will be a remove win2k option in the add remove programs
    Also win 2k is far superior to 98 But
    You can use a dos icon to run dos based games
    If you fiddle with the memory settings in the propertys
    Its like setting up your own compatability mode which is a feature of XP

Deco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

man u dont have a notion..

the fact that u want to move from a stable,reliable ,fault tolerant build of windows, windows 2000

to an architecture of windows that is flawed by design and any app can take it out at anytime..

really puzzles me..

trust what ppl are saying
    get ur dad a new chess game..

and 95% of games run in win2k..
    anything game since summer2k is fully win2k compliant

if u wanna run dos apps, u got vmware and
    connectix virtual pc

and if u REALLY need to run 98
    run it as a virtual machine in vmware or virtual pc

• Advertisement
Advertisement