Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newtel?

Options
  • 30-11-2002 4:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

anybody know anything about this crowd?

http://www.newtel.de/ireland/home.html

Got a phone call during the week from a Toher, Co. Louth number offering me something like 400 minutes of local calls for 0.5 cents per minute (eircom are 1.26). Lot's of other stuff too, butshe was talking a mile a minute, and I didn't have a pen.

Googling, i find that they were in a previous life a merger of Telenor and Telia and put in a hostile bid for Esat a few years back.

At least i think she said newtel anyway!

What got me sceptical was that she said they had no literature or contracts and had no website. Which seems bit dodgy...

Anybody know anything about them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

AFAIK they are a reseller of other carriers services ....... primarily.

I am not sure if they are pyramid pimps like that shower euphony

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Their website would be a lot more impressive if it had a chart showing charges.

Focus appears to be business accounts.

Otherwise sounds like a reasonable outfit, based in US, company search indicates that the operation here does not have much substance, but in that line of business that can be a plus as it keeps overheads down.

No mention of anything Internet related on that site.

Can't see anything to indicate that they bear any resmblence to those Euphony hucsters. Are they still around?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Originally posted by De Rebel

No mention of anything Internet related on that site.

as far as I recall, she seemed to offer 1891 access for cheaper. But I can't be sure what they said... no website to speak of, and no literature that she could send me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

CPS resellers - have a bit of a switch thingy themselves too - nothing to write home about - offer "packages" for a fixed fee - mostly operate in the business arena.

Dont think they get into MLM but more direct sales...

Price , they are OK but you'd be better off with a brand name like Esat Bt , ntl or Chorus if you are going to switch operators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

They have 5c set-up charge and bills in 30 second increments
    there is also a Late fee of €10.00 if the bill is not paid in full within 14 days
    and they charge €20 for 500 minutes

I would'nt touch them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭highlight

The resellers generally use Esat BT or Worldcom so there is a brand name behind it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Depends on the reseller - I was talking in terms of charging - Some resellers just get the CDR records off the carrier and then use their own billing engines to bill - See post from the Guru...

For Infrastructure you have to have a general telco licence anyway so....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭highlight

The resellers generally use Esat BT or Worldcom so there is a brand name behind it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by crawler
    Depends on the reseller - I was talking in terms of charging - Some resellers just get the CDR records off the carrier and then use their own billing engines to bill - See post from the Guru...

Correctomundo Crawler.

Newtel bought Orbitel earlier this year (www.orbitel.ie) who were a switchless carrier selling Worldcom at one point as you described it above. Does anybody know if Newtel manage their sales channel using pyramid pimping or whether it is a good ole honest sales droid on commission model.

M

Advertisement