Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBOX Live

Options
  • 30-11-2002 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Does anyone know if the uk xbox site will ship the TestDrive kit to Ireland? I'm on ntl broadband so I dont see why it wouldnt work, I'm just wondering if they are just not shipping it outside the UK...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

AFAIK they won't ship outside the UK. The only countries you can use TestDrive in at the moment are the UK, France and Germany. Even if you do manage to get your hands on a kit, you'll be refused tech support for it since you live in the wrong country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

as he said,

and today being the official day for selling the live kits in britain,
    M$ are having teething problems with their servers, ppl are trying to purchase the £40 kits but being refused..

a few mates on mgr have been tellnig me about it, (beta testers)they say its incredible - moto gp 16 player,, not that i'm into motorbike games,
    but i drool at the thought of multiplayer , slagging your mate as he takes a corner etc..

:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

btw this is what XBox Ireland said when I asked them about XBox Live...

"We do not have broadband yet. Microsoft is committed to continuing the development of broadband partnerships in Europe for Xbox and plans to make additional announcements regarding the March launch countries over the coming months."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

NTL are apparently releasing an adapter that will allow you to plug both your Xbox Live in and you PC to the one modem and you still get full bandwidth on both....promises

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

You all should buy a fast pc,literally hundreds of great online games.
    Play FPS games with anything from 2 to 64 other players,
    Join clans etc.
    Race racing sims against 38 other drivers,i race in a few online leagues for Nascar and Grand prix legends.
    I dont have broadband only 56k but my neighbour does and has 4 very quick PCs networked together and all using the one broadband connection,bloddy amazing.
    We sometimes go 4 on 4 with other clans or join our clan of 30 and fight 30 others in Battlefield 1942.
    We also play Medalof honour,return to castle wolfenstein,counter-strike,Day of defeat,Ghost Recon,Soldier of fortune 2,Unreal tournament 2003 and Quake 3 arena.

• Advertisement

This thread is about Xbox Live, not justifying owning an Xbox and using it for online gaming.

Originally posted by chernobyl
    This thread is about Xbox Live, not justifying owning an Xbox and using it for online gaming.

yes i agree and that talk feature is well recieved so far :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

This thread is about Xbox Live, not justifying owning an Xbox and using it for online gaming

Sorry about that,just expressing an opinion based on the fact that xbox live seems to be only for the very rich who can afford the outragous prices for broadband in Ireland.
    Im merely stating that the pc has option of 56k gaming for a lot less than what xbox live will cost and seems a better option IMO.
    I have an xbox and do not see it worth forking out huge costs for fast net access for a handfull of games.
    I mean whats on xbox live so far? Halo,Unreal championship,Moto gp?
    If i could afford broadband id get it for pc for its vast amount of online games and of course surfing .
    No doubt xbox live will be a success in countries like the UK as broadband is only about £20 a month for full access 24 hours a day compared to us poor souls this side of the Irish sea.
    Until its affordable here it will be a nonstarter.
    Having said that those who already have broadband for pc and have an xbox ,xbox live is a big plus.

Even if the "rich people" had broadband here in ireland, the service isn't available to us yet, but it's nice to discuss anyway :)

Broadband is not for the rich and Ireland is irrelevant to anyone to who does not live here or depend on Ireland [ie] MS and 99% on the Xbox community.

I have Broadband (at a sacrafice too) and cant wait to try MotoGP online, knowing everyone i am playing against has been subject to certain conditions that will make the gaming great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Online cheat free gaming where winning and losing is based on skill or luck :D.

That sounds good .

/me ponders the xbox deal with 4 games.

kdjaC

did anyone read red eye's column on xbox live in the latest edge, never laughed so much in my life !!:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭festivala

Originally posted by KdjaC
    Online cheat free gaming where winning and losing is based on skill or luck :D.

That sounds good .

Unfortunately it hasn't been 'cheat-free' yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

I asked XBox support whether XBox Live would be coming here in the near future, and if UK Live packs would work here. No info on a release date here, but they said (in October):

"If you can manage to get a Pack from UK that should work in Ireland."

Of course, the trick is a) getting the pack from the UK and b) having broadband :rolleyes:

Mind you, if Irish Broadband spread their coverage a bit into Dublin 8, I might be able to get it at €40 per month.

Ciarán.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,376 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It looks like the 56k modem adapter for GC will be the only way I can get online with a console for a while. There are too many sh*tholes in the arse end of nowhere getting broadband. Bring broadband to Balbriggan! Oh, forgot that Balbriggan is a sh*thole in the arse end of nowhere.
    Why wasn't I born in Japan, better selection of games, finer women less mingers,.......

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mickah

have you fellas heard of Gamespy tunnel?

http://www.gamespyarcade.com/support/tunnel_xbox.shtml

It's Gamespy's alternative for xbox live. You need broadband, but not xbox live.

Check the site out, there's a very good explanation, basically you run your xbox connection through your PC.

Advertisement