Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIOS Problem (I think!!)

• 30-11-2002 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Any idea's on this guys...I have a P3 866 Compaq Deskpro EN. I have installed a new BIOS battery and cleared the CMOS (little button on the MotherBoard) and done a BIOS upgrade to the most recent version from the Compaq website for the particular machine. My problem lies in the REAL TIME CLOCK won't hold the time when you removed the power lead..Have tried everything I can think of even leaving the PC plugged in overnight...all to no avail any help much appreicated...
    Cheers
    ps..if I can't fix it anyone willing to buy it for a couple of hundred yoyo's

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Where'd you get the battery from?

Surely with an atx board the clock uses ac power when it's plugged in and reverts to the bios battery when unplugged?
    Most strange tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

With the CMOS batteries if you touch both sides (Top and bottem at the same time) you can discharge them (making them dead to the world) if you done this then the battery is toste and needs to be replaced. The reasion that the Time and date settings go when the power is removed is that. When a ATX board has mains power, it will use that to store the CMOS data, when the power is removed then it will use the battery. Seeing as the battery now has no power, the system will lose all its bios settings and revert to default each time the mains power is removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I dont know about the Compaq mobo, but it used to be common practice that the RTC was on a seperate chip and had a battery built into it!! (well, soldered onto the top) ... that was seperate from the BIOS chip and battery ...

My 0.02 Euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

hmm..... wasn't that like 8 or 9 years ago? (486 times)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 costie929

does anyone have any ideas on this...it's really doing my f**kin' head in...HELPPPP!!!!! i've tried everything there is two new batteries after going into it just in case like and still nothing....i don't particularly want to sell in for 150 yoyos as i know i can get more for it as it's a p3 866...
    cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

My problem lies in the REAL TIME CLOCK won't hold the time when you removed the power lead

You have a duff battery mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Not an EN, but had a Deskpro a few months ago with the same problem. Sorry to say, it turned out to be a system board fault and required a replacement system board. Don't suppose your PIII is still under warranty?

Advertisement