Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you support the FBU strike?

Options
  • 30-11-2002 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭

Personally, I find their demands staggeringly unrealistic. 40% pay rise? Hello? It's a shame that Blair hasn't got the guts to wade in and smash the strike. They're even greedier than the miners were but at least the miners didn't put people's lives at risk by striking.

Do you support the FBU strike? 12 votes

Yes, why not give them 400%?
    0% 0 votes
    No, smash these selfish hypocrites!
    16% 2 votes
    No, and the fire brigade should be privatised
    83% 10 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

And they already earn close to $10k more than their american colleagues... who aren't allowed strike by law :)

Gilchrist seems like a slimey bastard as well, with such great quotes as "firefighters risk their lives on a daily basis".. yeah right, personally I'd love to see the the work-related deaths of firefighters compared to fishermen, miners or even policemen. Somehow I think thered be extremely little comparison both in those figures and annual wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Turnip

Saw the RMT union leader ranting on Sky news and he was defending firemen who go into work and go asleep! He said something like if they were sleeping that meant there were no fires. Erm. As part of modernisation maybe Blair should throw in a few alarm clocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

40% is a joke obviously, Gilchrist is a man out to make a name for himself like Brendan Ogle of the Irish Locmotive Drives union was here.

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I support the strikers, but I won't vote in that biased poll. It should be edited or deleted.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

What do you want them to do if there are no fires while there at work?

How about fire prevention and education work

The FBU are on a hiding to nothing Gilchrist is now trying to save his reputation having failed miserably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

I also support the firefighters & that biased poll can only mean bad karma for your christmas tree lights.

If they ever save one of your loved ones from a burning house you'll understand why they deserve more than £6.50 per hour - twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by pencil
    If they ever save one of your loved ones from a burning house you'll understand why they deserve more than £6.50 per hour - twat.
    Which they do get, it's £6.50 an hour after tax ... perhaps €13 before + allowances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I have zero time for them, their slimy union leader or their strike. The sheer selfishness of industrial action by firefighters is inconcievable - allowing people to die so they can get a payrise is what it boils down to. Real nice.

Never mind the fact that their demands are economically impossible and unreasonable, and they have refused all attempts at modernisation of the service as part of a significant pay increase package. Never mind that there are 40 applications for every open position in the fire service. Never mind that they work so few hours a week that most of them have second jobs anyway.

To hell with them. Public support is falling through the floor anyway. The strikes will be broken; with every day they continue the public supports the governments hardline stance more and more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement