Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kryo 2 4500 64mb card performance question please help??

• 30-11-2002 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

I have recently just upgraded a tnt2 32mb card to a Hercules Kryo 2 4500 64mb card.. and im just wondering y in counter strike even in res's like 600 x 480 am i still getting fps as low as 20 in some bad places.. I looked at reviews on the web and it said this card was capable of doing 99fps on 800x600 res.. so whats rong why wont it perform??

Please Help

Thanks.

-adren-

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

oh yes and my Pc specs are

P3 500
    128 Ram

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Are you sure you're not using software rendering? Latest drivers for the Kyro? I had that exact card, performed very well for me with a similar spec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Does this card have T&L? My friend has it and hes getting ****e fps even though he has a 1.8 celeron, 256 ddr.

Sorry to go off topic like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

The Kyro2 was hailed as a card that beats the pants off all 2MX and sometimes even the Ultra and Pro.

People quickly realised that any game depending heavily on a T&L unit fell flat on its face on the Kyro2.

I know on mine (kyro1) using the flashlight in half-life resulted in the FPS dropping to around 15. Most likely cause of its tile based rendering, the CPU has to apply lighting to loads of small squares, thus putting a huge strain on it.

No T&L = Bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Drivers should sort it out.. make sure anti-aliasing is off in the settings as well.
    There are a few kyro2 tweak sites out there.. check them out if the latest drivers give no luck.

• Advertisement

I have updated to the latest kyro drivers still no increase in fps.. would adding more ram to my computer help say 256mb of it??

Also how do i disable the anti laising thing?

Originally posted by phaxx
    Are you sure you're not using software rendering?

Anti aliasing can be disabled under display properties, system tab, advanced. Look around in that dialog, there's a list of features you can tweak.

Ive done most of those things now and still nothing thought the strange thing is when i play cs in a res of 1072x720 or what ever it is and i play it in 640x400 the fps seems to be the same for both.. surely that cant be right??

and about adding more memory to my system would that help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

No, adding extra memory won't help your fps. If it was say, doom3 which requires far more memory than cs, then more memory would help.
    When a game is loaded, and you are running around with a steady framerate, the amount of ram makes no difference to performance.
    You are just going to have to do a bit of googling and find out what tweaks to do to get it running ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

Would your CPU be a bottleneck as i had a PII 450 and i put in a geforce 3 while i was waiting on other parts and it didn't help my fps too much . So i reconed the cpu was the problem your 500 might be the bottleneck

• Advertisement

So u recomend a CPU upgrade perhaps then?

I don't think the CPU is the bottleneck here, I used that card for a few months on a duron 700 and was getting 60-100 fps in quake 3, and 50-80 in halflife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I ran a sysmark on one of these cards on a system i build for a friend of mine. It was a few months ago and i used the out of the box drivers, cant rember what version.

The system was an athlon XP1600 with 256 ddr and it only scored 2700 in sysmark 2001 se.

I have a 1gig thunderbird athlon here with a 32 meg gforce 2 mx 400 and pc133 ram and it scores a little more! and my 1.33 tbird athlon with a 32 meg gf2 gts got close to 4000.

I expected the kryo system to get arond 4000 also! 2700 seems feck all for a 64 meg card in that system!

any ideas so because i realy dont feal like dishing out money on a cpu if it isnt the bottle neck.. and it wont improve anything.. phaxx how did u manage such fps??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

This is boggling. It should be roaring away. Even my voodoo3 on K6III-450 was faster than that. Not to be insulting, but are you -sure- you're not using software rendering in HL? You don't seem to have answered that.

lol .. lo balfa.. long time.. yea im sure im not using software rendering.. and it really is bothering me this fps problem any ideas?

Advertisement